CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.- The Virginia men’s and women’s track and field teams will compete in a pair of two-day competitions this weekend (Feb. 8-9), sending a split squad to the Tiger Paw Invite at the Clemson Indoor Track and Field Complex in Clemson, S.C., and the Iowa State Classic at the Lied Recreational Center in Ames, Iowa.
Follow the Action
• Both the Tiger Paw Invite and the Iowa State Classic will have live results.
• Fans can watch the Iowa State Classic with a paid subscription to FloTrack.
• Links to the broadcast and to live results are available at VirginiaSports.com. Updates throughout the weekend will be provided on the team’s official Twitter account (@UVATFCC).
Iowa State Classic
• The Cavaliers will face seven ranked men’s teams and six top-25 women’s teams at the Iowa State Classic. The women’s competition will feature No. 4 Florida, No. 10 Kentucky, No. 12 LSU, No. 15 Iowa, No. 22 Kansas and No. 23 BYU. The men compete against No. 3 Florida, No. 5 LSU, No. 12 Indiana, No. 13 BYU, No. 16 Kansas, No. 17 Wisconsin and No. 21 Baylor.
Tiger Paw Invite
• No. 2 Florida State, No. 4 Houston, No. 7 Texas A&M and No. 20 Penn State will compete in the men’s competition, while No. 3 Texas A&M, No. 5 Florida State, No. 10 Kentucky, No. 16 Tennessee, No. 18 South Carolina, No. 19 Penn State, No. 21 Ohio State and No. 24 Georgia Tech will compete in the women’s competition.
Topping The Records
• Two Cavaliers topped Virginia’s all-time list last weekend at the Liberty Flames Invite as redshirt junior Bridget Guy (Greensburg, Pa.) set a Virginia record in the pole vault and junior Brenton Foster (Townsville, Australia) tied UVA’s high jump record.
• Guy cleared a height of 4.30m (14’1.25″), topping her previous school record mark of 4.20m (13’9.25″) set at the Dr. Sanders Columbia Challenge the week prior. Guy won the event and recorded the 15th-best national jump this season.
• Foster’s performance of 2.21m (7’3″) in the high jump tied Herman Moore’s jump from 1990 as the best performance in school history. Foster finished first at the meet and captured the nation’s 12th-best jump this season. He was named the ACC Male Performer of the Week for the performance.
• Last time out, sophomore Brittany Jones (Bloomfield, Conn.) captured the top mark in the shot put at the Liberty Flames Invite at 15.53m (50’11.5″), the sixth-best mark in school history. Her performance ranks third in the ACC and 46th nationally this season.
• Junior Jordan Scott (Portmore, Jamaica) holds the league’s second-best triple jump mark after recording a jump of 16.43m (53’11”), while senior Nace Plesko (Ljubljana, Slovenia) ranks second in the ACC in the shot put with a mark of 18.43m (60’5.75″). Scott finished first at the Dr. Sanders Columbia Challenge as Plesko placed sixth overall and second among collegiate athletes.
• The men’s distance medley relay team of redshirt junior Matthew Novak (Glen Allen, Va.), senior Jake Dixon (Falmouth, Maine), junior AJ Ernst (Marblehead, Mass.) and redshirt junior Ari Klau (West Hartford, Conn.) recorded a time of 9:45.55 at the Dr. Sanders Columbia Challenge. The time ranks second in the ACC and 10th in the nation.