CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — The Virginia men’s soccer team (3-2-1, 0-1 ACC) is set to take on NC State (4-2, 1-0 ACC) on Friday night (Sept. 17) in an ACC contest at Klöckner Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.
How to Follow
Friday night’s match against NC State will be streamed on ACCNX which is available through the ESPN app and at WatchESPN.com for customers who have the ACC Network as part of their TV subscription. Links to both the broadcast and live stats are available at VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get updates by following the program’s official Twitter account (@UVAMenSoccer).
GELNOVATCH NEARS 100TH ACC WIN
- Entering ACC play in his 28th season as the Virginia head coach, George Gelnovatch currently sits at 99 ACC wins.
- With his first ACC victory of the 2023 campaign, Gelnovatch will become just the second ACC coach to accomplish the feat—and the first to reach the milestone at a single school (Jay Vidovich compiled 100+ combined wins at Wake Forest and Pitt)
- NOTE: Only regular-season contests against ACC opponents count as conference wins.
AGAINST THE WOLFPACK
- The Cavaliers lead the series with a staggering record of 50-17-9. At home, the Cavaliers are 32-2-2.
- George Gelnovatch is 20-4-3 against the Wolfpack in his career
- Virginia is unbeaten in its last eight matches with NC State. It’s last loss against the Wolfpack came in a 2-0 defeat in 2010
- In the last meeting with the Wolfpack, Leo Afonso scored the opening goal on an assist from Michael Tsicoulias. Virginia went on to win by a score of 2-1 (10/15/21)