The Department of Athletics is an integral part of the University of Virginia’s commitment to educational excellence. Its mission is to enhance and support the intellectual purpose of the University and its exemplary academic standards and traditions.
Critical to the Department’s mission are high academic achievement; nationally competitive and successful teams; comprehensive integration of student athletes within the University and local communities; a strict adherence to NCAA, ACC, and University rules and regulations; fiscal integrity, which is embodied through the generation and efficient use of resources; the attraction and retention of the highest quality student athletes and staff which includes equitable opportunities for women and minorities.
The Department of Athletics pursues its mission by uniting the varied constituencies of the University community through its intercollegiate and intramural programs. These programs are designed to build support for and add value to the academic purposes of the institution while developing students with strong values of leadership, sportsmanship, equity, citizenship, physical fitness, teamwork, and a commitment to excellence.
The operating principles of the Athletics Department require that in pursuing its mission, the Department will consistently provide exemplary service to all of its internal and external constituencies.
Ten Year Goals
- Graduate 100% of our student athletes
- Win 12 national championships and 70 conference championships
- Fully endow all of our scholarships and provide operational support required to meet our other stated goals
- Build and maintain the highest quality facilities in the country with the purpose of attracting and developing the best student athletes to the University of Virginia annually
- Based on how coaches rate their top prospects, we will attract our top prospective student athletes to the University of Virginia annually
- Fully comply with Title IX