April 22, 2005
CARY, N.C. – The second ranked Virginia men’s tennis team took its first step in defending its ACC Championship, downing Miami 4-1 Friday in the quarterfinals of the 2005 ACC Tournament at the Cary Tennis Center. The top seeded Cavaliers needed less than two and a half hours to dispatch of the Hurricanes and record their 15th consecutive win over a conference opponent.
The Cavaliers (22-2) took an early lead by taking the doubles point as all three Cavalier doubles teams took control early in their matches. Nick Meythaler (Owensboro, Ky.) and Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) defeated Tim Krebs and Vivek Subramanian 8-2 at No. 1 doubles. Then Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) and Doug Stewart (Malibu, Calif.) clinched the point with an 8-1 win over John Hoyes and Luis Manrique at No. 3 doubles. Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) and Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) led 7-2 in their match at No. 2 doubles when it was stopped.
In singles, the score quickly became 2-0 in favor of the Cavaliers as Devvarman cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Eric Hechtman at No. 2 singles. Marko Miklo (Bratislava, Slovakia) extended the Virginia advantage to 3-0 when he topped Subramanian 6-1, 6-2 at No. 5 singles. Miami got on the board when No. 60 ranked Josh Cohen upset No. 15 ranked Stewart 6-4, 6-3 at No. 1 singles. Virginia clinched the match when Huey completed a 6-3, 6-4 win over Hoyes at No. 4 singles. The final two matches were abandoned.
The Cavaliers will continue play at the ACC Tournament Saturday when they play Wake Forest. That semifinal match will begin at 10:00 a.m. at the Cary Tennis Center.
No. 2 Virginia 4, No. 66 Miami 1
1. #17 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) def. Krebs/Subramanian (UM) 8-2
2. #60 Devvarman/Huey (UVa) led Hechtman/Cohen (UM) 7-2 DNF
3. Cohen/Stewart (UVa) def. Manrique/Hoyes (UM) 8-1
1. #60 Josh Cohen (UM) def. #15 Doug Stewart (UVa) 6-4, 6-3
2. #26 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) def. Eric Hechtman (UM) 6-0, 6-1
3. #59 Rylan Rizza (UVa) vs. #95 Tim Krebs (UM) 6-2, 3-6, 1-1 DNF
4. Treat Huey (UVa) def. John Hoyes (UM) 6-3, 6-4
5. #109 Marko Miklo (UVa) def. Vivek Subramanian (UM) 6-1, 6-2
6. #68 Darrin Cohen (UVa) led Ryan Waits (UM) 7-6, 5-2 DNF