ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. Top-ranked Virginia advanced to the semifinals of the 2008 ACC Tournament with a 4-1 quarterfinal victory over NC State Friday at Sanlando Park. The Cavaliers (26-0) will meet Wake Forest in a semifinal matchup Saturday looking to advance to the ACC Final for the fifth consecutive year.
“I want to give NC State a lot of credit for playing an excellent match,” said head coach Brian Boland. “In a tournament setting, it is always nice to get that first match under your belt. We are looking forward to another good match tomorrow against a strong Wake Forest team.”
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point. Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) and Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) cruised to an 8-3 win over Christian Welte and James McGee at No. 1 doubles to give Virginia the early advantage. Lee Singer (Laguna Niguel, Calif.) and Ted Angelinos (Athens, Greece) clinched the opening point with their 8-4 win over Jay Weinacker and Derek Stephens at No. 3 doubles.
In singles, the score quickly moved to 2-0 as Houston Barrick (Brentwood, Tenn.) posted a 6-2, 6-0 win over David Chermak at No. 6 singles. The Wolfpack cut the lead in half, 2-1, as Weinacker defeated Sanam Singh (Chandiagrh, India) 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 3 position. Angelinos made the score 3-1 with his 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 5 singles over Stephens. Devvarman clinched the victory for Virginia with his 6-3, 7-6 win over McGee at the No. 1 spot.
With the victory, Virginia extended its school record winning streak to 26 matches overall and 29 straight against ACC opponents (regular season and posteseason). The Cavaliers also improve to 12-1 at the ACC Tournament since 2004.
Virginia will meet Wake Forest in the ACC semifinals for the third time in the past four years. The Cavaliers defeated the Demon Deacons to reach the ACC Final in 2005 and 2007. Wake Forest advanced to this year’s semifinals with a 4-2 win over Virginia Tech on Friday.
No. 1 Virginia 4, No. 50 NC State 1
1. #1 Devvarman/Huey (UVa) def. Welte/McGee (NCSU) 8-3
2. Shabaz/Inglot (UVa) led Cavaday/Chermak (NCSU) 7-4 DNF
3. #53 Angelinos/Singer (UVa) def. Weinacker/Stephens (NCSU) 8-4
1. #1 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) def. #56 James McGee (NCSU) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
2. #29 Treat Huey (UVa) led Nick Cavaday (NCSU) 6-2, 5-7, 2-0 DNF
3. #114 Jay Weinacker (NCSU) def. Sanam Singh (UVa) 6-3, 6-4
4. Christian Welte (NCSU) led Michael Shabaz (UVa) 6-3, 3-6, 3-0 DNF
5. Ted Angelinos (UVa) def. Derek Stephens (NCSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Houston Barrick (UVa) def. David Chermak (NCSU) 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: Doubles- 1,3 Singles- 6,3,5,1
Records: Virginia (26-0), NC State (12-14)