CARY, N.C. – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team needed just two hours and 15 minutes to dispatch of No. 16 Georgia Tech 4-0 in an ACC Tournament semifinal at the Cary Tennis Park. The Cavaliers (28-0), who reached their eighth consecutive final, extended their ACC-record win streak to 76 consecutive victories over conference competition, while Yellow Jackets fell to 19-5. Virginia will look to capture its fifth consecutive ACC Tournament title, and its seventh title in the past eight years, on Sunday when it meets either Duke or North Carolina.
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point. Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) and Michael Shabaz (Fairfax, Va.) gave Virginia the early edge with an 8-5 win at No. 1 over Juan Spir and Kevin King. Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) clinched the opening point when they rallied from down an early break for an 8-6 win at No. 2 over Eliot Potvin and Ryan Smith.
In singles, Virginia continued its momentum, winning all six first sets. The Cavalier lead was doubled as Uriguen posted a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 6 over Miguel Muguruza. Jenkins defeated Magin Ortiga 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4 to make the score 3-0 before Sanam Singh (Chandigarh, India) clinched the victory with his 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 3 over Potvin. Virginia led in all three matches that were abandoned.
“We played well today,” said head coach Brian Boland. “I feel like we are healthy and the guys are enjoying the ACC Tournament experience. They love being out here and competing for a championship. I am very proud of our approach and how we are preparing for each match. We will come out here again tomorrow and see what happens.”
The Cavaliers will meet either No. 13 Duke or No. 15 North Carolina in the final on Sunday. Match time at the Cary Tennis Park is 11 a.m.
#1 Virginia 4, #16 Georgia Tech 0
1. #2 Courtney/Shabaz (UVa) def. #14 King/Spir (GT) 8-5
2. Jenkins/Uriguen (UVa) def. Potvin/Smith (GT) 8-6
3. Domijan/Singh (UVa) vs. Gomez/O’Brien (GT) 6-6 DNF
1. #5 Michael Shabaz (UVa) led #14 Guillermo Gomez (GT) 6-4, 2-0 DNF
2. #2 Alex Domijan (UVa) led Kevin King (GT) 6-4, 3-4 DNF
3. #36 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. Eliot Potvin (GT) 6-4, 6-3
4. #53 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Magin Ortiga (GT) 6-2, 6-2
5. #39 Drew Courtney (UVa) led Dean O’Brien (GT) 7-6(4), 2-3 DNF
6. Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. Miguel Muguruza (GT) 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish