No. 2 Cavaliers Post 6-1 Victory Over No. 5 Florida
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The second-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team posted its second top-15 win in less than 24 hours as it topped No. 5 Florida 6-1 on Saturday afternoon at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers, who blanked No. 15 Texas 7-0 on Friday night, improved to 3-0 on the season. The Gators (3-1) suffered their first loss of the year.
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point for a 1-0 lead. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) gave Virginia the early advantage with an 8-4 win at No. 3 over 25th-ranked Andrew Butz and Bob van Overbeek. The Gators drew even as Frank Carleton and Spencer Newman edged Philippe Oudshoorn (Apeldoorn, The Netherlands) and Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) 8-6 at the No. 2 spot. With the opening point on the line, Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) upset the fourth-ranked doubles team in the nation, Nassam Slilam and Billy Federhofer, 8-3 at No. 1 to give Virginia the doubles point.
In singles, the Cavaliers won five of six first sets to take control of the match. Courtney extended the lead to 2-0 with his 6-3, 6-2 win over Florent Diop at No. 3. Shane added a 7-6(3), 6-0 win over Federhofer at the No. 4 spot to make the score 3-0 before Jenkins clinched the victory with his 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 1 over Slilam. The final three matches went to three sets. Oudshoorn rallied from down a set and two breaks in the second for a 3-6, 7-5, 6-2 win over Butz at No. 6. Florida got its only point of the match at No. 2 where Carleton rallied for a 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 win over Domijan to make the score 5-1. Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) closed out the match with a 7-6(2), 3-6, 7-5 win over Newman at No. 5 to make the final score 6-1.
The win extended Virginia’s school-record home winning streak to 91 consecutive matches.
Virginia will conclude its season-opening homestand on Sunday as they host No. 11 Texas A&M. Match time at the Boyd Tinsley Courts is 1 p.m., and admission is free.
#2 VIRGINIA 6, #5 FLORIDA 1
1. Jenkins/Courtney (UVa) def. #4 Slilam/Federhofer (UF) 8-3
2. #41 Carleton/Newman (UF) def. #13 Oudshoorn/Shane (UVa) 8-6
3. Domijan/Rooda (UVa) def. #25 Butz/van Overbeek (UF) 8-4
1. #11 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Nassam Slilam (UF) 6-2, 6-4
2. Frank Carleton (UF) def. Alex Domijan (UVa) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Florent Diop (UF) 6-3, 6-2
4. #57 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Billy Federhofer (UF) 7-6(3), 6-0
5. Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. #84 Spencer Newman (UF) 7-6(2), 3-6, 7-5
6. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) def. #102 Andrew Butz (UF) 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: