Singles Play Lifts Cavaliers Past Oklahoma 6-1
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The fifth-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team returned home Friday to post a 6-1 win over No. 31 Oklahoma at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Cavaliers (11-1) won all six singles matches after falling behind 1-0 to win its third straight match. The Sooners (6-3) had their two-match win streak snapped.
For the third consecutive match, the Cavaliers fell behind early by dropping the doubles point. Virginia took an early edge with an 8-3 win at No. 3 by Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands), who downed Lawrence Formentera and David Pultr. The Sooners drew even with an 8-5 win at No. 1 by Dane Webb and Costin Paval over Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.). The opening point came down to a tiebreaker at No. 2, where Oklahoma’s Tsvetan Mihov and Peerakot Siributwong edged Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) and Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala).
In singles, the Cavaliers drew even early as Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) posted a 6-0, 6-4 win at No. 5 over Webb. Jenkins gave Virginia a 2-1 lead as he defeated Paval 7-5, 6-2 at the top position.
The other four matches went to a third set. Courtney’s 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 win at No. 4 over Siributwng made the score 3-1 before Domijan clinched the match with a 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 2 over Mihov. Uriguen got a win at No. 6 when Pultr retired early in the third set, making the score 5-1. Frank closed out the match with a 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 win at No. 3 over Guillermo Alcorta.
The Cavaliers return to action on Saturday as they host a pair of matches. They meet Boston College at 1 p.m. at the Snyder Tennis Center and Eastern Kentucky at 6 p.m. at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. Admission to both matches is free.
#5 VIRGINIA 6, #31 OKLAHOMA 1
1. #18 Paval/Webb (OU) def. #10 Courtney/Jenkins (UVa) 8-5
2. Mihov/Siributwong (OU) def. Frank/Uriguen (UVa) 9-8
3. Domijan/Rooda (UVa) def. Formentera/Pultr (OU) 8-3
1. #7 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. #15 Costin Paval (OU) 7-5, 6-2
2. #94 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #103 Tsvetan Mihov (OU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
4. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. #67 Peerakit Siributwong (OU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
5. #72 Justin Shane (UVa) def. #78 Dane Webb (OU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. David Pultr (OU) 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 ret.
Order of Finish: