No. 1 Virginia Rolls to 6-1 Win at No. 11 Texas A&M
March 13, 2013
COLLEGE STATION, Texas – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team improved to 9-0 this season with a 6-1 victory over No. 11 Texas A&M Friday night at the Mitchell Tennis Center. It was the Cavaliers’ sixth win this season over teams current ranked in the top 20 as they won their second match of their four-match roadtrip. The Aggies, who suffered their first home loss of the season, fell to 12-6 overall.
Virginia took an early 1-0 lead in the match by winning the doubles point. At No. 2, Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Mitchell Frank, ranked No. 46 nationally, posted their biggest win as a duo, cruising to an 8-3 win over 13th-ranked Harrison Adams and Shane Vinsant. In a battle of two top-15 teams at No. 1, second-ranked Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) and Mac Styslinger (Birmingham, Ala.) edged No. 15 Junior Ore and Jackson Withrow 9-7 to give the Cavaliers the opening point.
In singles, the Cavaliers gained control of the match by winning four of the six first sets. In the four matches that Virginia won the opening set, they closed out straight set wins to secure the victory. Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) was first off the courts, posting a 6-3, 6-1 win over Niall Angus at No. 6. His younger brother, Ryan, followed with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Adams at the No. 3 position. Seconds later the Cavalier win was clinched as Jenkins finished a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 1 singles over Ore. Frank’s 6-2, 6-1 victory over Vinsant at No. 4 singles extended the advantage to 5-0.
The Aggies got on the scoreboard at No. 2 singles where Jeremy Efferding upset Domijan, the nation’s top-ranked player, 6-3, 7-6(4). It snapped Domijan’s eight-match win streak and was just his second loss of the season. In the final match on the courts, Styslinger rallied from dropping the first set for a 6-7(2), 7-6(5), 6-4 win over Jordan Szabo at the No. 5 spot to make the final score 6-1.
Virginia continues its road trip on Friday as it visits No. 15 Texas. Match time in Austin is 6 p.m. CT (7 p.m. ET) and the match will be televised on the Longhorn Network.
#1 VIRGINIA 6, #11 TEXAS A&M 1
1. #2 Jenkins/Styslinger (UVa) def. #15 Ore/Withrow (TAMU) 9-7
2. #46 Frank/Domijan (UVa) def. #13 Adams/Vinsant (TAMU) 8-3
3. #27 J.Shane/J.Uriguen (UVa) led Efferding/Szabo (TAMU) 7-6 DNF
1. #5 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Junior Ore (TAMU) 6-3, 6-2
2. #52 Jeremy Efferding (TAMU) def. #1 Alex Domijan (UVa) 6-3, 7-6(4)
3. #22 Ryan Shane (UVa) def. #118 Harrison Adams (TAMU) 6-4, 6-3
4. #81 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. #77 Shane Vinsant (TAMU) 6-2, 6-1
5. #12 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. Jordan Szabo (TAMU) 6-7(2), 7-6(5), 6-4
6. Justin Shane (UVa) def. Niall Angus (TAMU) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish