Cavaliers Remain Unbeaten With 6-1 Win Over North Carolina
March 24, 2013
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team remained unbeaten on the season with a 6-1 victory over No. 70 North Carolina on Sunday at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers (13-0, 2-0 ACC) extended their winning streak to 95 straight wins over conference foes, while the Tar Heels fell to 7-10 overall and 0-4 in the ACC.
“Any ACC win is a quality win, so we are pleased with the result,” said head coach Brian Boland. “Friday’s match (against Duke) came down to the end and it is always tough to bounce back after an emotional match like that one. I think some of the guys were disappointed in their performance against Duke. Those players bounced back today with quality matches and that shows the character of this team.”
Virginia took the lead by winning the doubles point. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) won their eighth consecutive match, downing Brett Clark and William Parker 8-1 at the No. 2 position. Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) and Mac Styslinger (Birmingham, Ala.) followed with an 8-4 win at No. 1 over Nelson Vick and Esben Hess-Olesen to clinch the point.
In singles, the Cavaliers continued their momentum, winning five of the six first sets. Domijan was first to finish, cruising to a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 3 over Vick. Styslinger followed with a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 5 singles over Oystein Steiro. Harrison Richmond (Pawleys Island, S.C.) clinched the victory as he completed a 6-3, 6-4 win over Maik Ulrich at the No. 6 position. Frank added a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Clark at No. 2 to extend the lead to 5-0.
The final two matches on the courts went to a decisive third set. At No. 4, Parker rallied for a 1-6, 6-3, 6-4 over Ryan Shane (Falls Church, Va.) at No. 4 singles. In the final match on the courts, Jenkins rallied for a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 win over Hess-Olesen at the top position to close out the 6-1 victory.
Virginia concludes its homestand on Thursday as its hosts in-state rival Virginia Tech. Match time at the Snyder Tennis Center is set for 3 p.m.
#1 VIRGINIA 6, #70 NORTH CAROLINA 1
1. #2 Jenkins/Styslinger (UVa) def. Vick/Hess-Olesen (UNC) 8-4
2. #46 Frank/Domijan (UVa) def. Clark/Parker (UNC) 8-1
3. #27 J.Shane/J.Uriguen (UVa) led Steiro/Coxe (UNC) 7-6 DNF
1. #5 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. #35 Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. #81 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. #104 Brett Clark (UNC) 6-2, 6-4
3. #1 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #113 Nelson Vick (UNC) 6-1, 6-1
4. William Parker (UNC) def. #22 Ryan Shane (UVa) 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. #12 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. #114 Oystein Steiro (UNC) 6-2, 6-1
6. #70 Harrison Richmond (UVa) def. Maik Ulrich (UNC) 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish