CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Virginia softball (17-30, 5-16 ACC) travels to NC State (26-23, 6-12 ACC) this weekend for the final ACC series of the season for the Cavaliers. First pitch in the series opener is slated for 6 p.m. on Friday, April 26 at Dail Softball Stadium in Raleigh, N.C.
Game two is set for a 2 p.m. start on Saturday (April 27) before the series concludes at noon on Sunday (April 28).
All three games of the series will air on ACC Network Extra, available to authenticated subscribers on the ESPN app and WatchESPN. A link to the broadcasts and live stats is available on VirginiaSports.com.
SMITH SETS BAR
• Senior Lacy Smith (Lancaster, Pa.) set a school record on Tuesday at JMU with her 14th home run of the season.
• Smith broke Kristen Dennis’ mark of 13 long balls set in 2002 with a three-run shot in the third inning of game one against the Dukes.
• The first baseman is also on pace to smash Virginia’s single-season slugging record, sitting at .797 with five games to play. Dennis’ 2002 season holds the current mark at .766.
• Earlier this season, Smith broke Dennis’ school-record hitting streak by going 16 consecutive games with a hit.
• Sophomore Hayley Busby (Phoenix, Ariz.) has recorded 15 doubles on the season thus far, setting a new career high.
• She ranks second in the ACC in doubles and 31st in the country.
• Busby’s 15 doubles are four shy of the Virginia single-season record.
• Her next double will move her into the top 10 in single-season performances at UVA.
• Busby went 3-for-4 in the finale against JMU, extending her hitting streak to a season-high eight games.
IT’S DOWN TO THIS
• Virginia will play its final ACC series of the season this weekend, traveling to NC State.
• The Cavaliers currently sit 10th in the league, the final spot that qualifies for the ACC Tournament.
• NC State is one game ahead of Virginia, with a series still to play. Virginia sits a game ahead of Pitt and Boston College, who play one another next weekend.
• A series victory would go a long way toward securing Virginia’s second ACC-berth in the past three seasons.
VERSUS NC STATE
• Virginia and NC State are meeting for the 43rd time in Friday’s series opener. The Wolfpack holds a 27-15 edge in the all-time series.
• NC State has won the last five meetings in the series and the past six meetings in Raleigh.
• Virginia is 4-14 on the road against the Pack.
Virginia will wrap up the regular season on Tuesday, April 30 when the Cavaliers host Hampton for a doubleheader at The Park.