CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men’s tennis team (11-4) picked up its sixth straight victory on Wednesday (March 11) with a 7-0 shutout of William & Mary (7-4) at the Snyder Tennis Center.
The Cavaliers claimed the doubles point behind wins on courts one and three, taking a 6-2 victory on court one from the No. 77 pairing of Matthew Lord (Bloomfield, Conn.) and Carl Soderlund (Stockholm, Sweden) before the duo of Ryan Goetz (Greenlawn, N.Y.) and Gianni Ross (Chicago, Ill.) would clinch the doubles point with a 6-4 victory on court three. William & Mary won on court two by a score of 6-3 to set up the winner-take-all finish on court three.
In singles, straight-set victories from Goetz at two singles, William Woodall (Washington, D.C.) at four singles and Soderlund locked up the dual match. Lord, Ross and Ammar Alhaqbani (Alexandria, Va.) would then complete the sweep with their wins on courts three, five and six, respectively.
- Matthew Lord and Carl Soderlund improved to 7-2 in doubles this season, while Ryan Goetz and Gianni Ross remained undefeated at 4-0 on the year.
- Ryan Goetz hit the 20-win mark, improving to 20-7 in singles and 9-3 in dual action.
- William Woodall is now 10-1 in dual matches and improved to 14-4 on the season.
- Ammar Alhaqbani improved to 17-3 on the year and holds a 6-1 mark in dual matches.
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
The Hoos will jump back into conference play this weekend, traveling to take on Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va., on Sunday (March 15) at 1 p.m. The match will count as the Commonwealth Clash point between the two teams.
Virginia 7, William & Mary 0
1. No. 42 Carl Soderlund def. Joseph Brailovsky (WM) – 6-2, 6-4
2. No. 121 Ryan Goetz def. Finbar Talcott (WM) – 6-1,6-0
3. Matthew Lord def. Sebastian Quiros (WM) – 6-4, 6-3
4. William Woodall def. Brendan Volk (WM) – 6-2, 6-2
5. Gianni Ross def. Daniel Pellerito (WM) – 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (3)
6. Ammar Alhaqbani def. Oren Vasser (WM) – 7-6 (5), 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 1, 3, 5, 6
1.No. 77 Matthew Lord/Carl Soderlund def. George Davis/Brendan Volk (WM) – 6-2
2. Joseph Brailovsky/Chen Roo (WM) def. R.J. Fresen/William Woodall – 6-3
3. Ryan Goetz/Gianni Ross def. Daniel Pellerito/Finbar Talcott (WM) – 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3