BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Virginia men’s and women’s indoor track and field team wrapped up competition at the Doc Hale Virginia Tech Elite meet in Blacksburg, Va., on Saturday with a number of personal bests and improvements on UVA’s all-time lists.
Senior Khyasia Caldwell (Pocono Summit, Pa) logged a runner-up finish in her first collegiate competition in the triple jump. An All-American in the long jump in 2020, on her first attempt Saturday she executed a jump of 12.49m (40’-11.75”). That was good enough to rank ninth on UVA’s all-time performance list. She becomes just the fourth Cavalier to post top-10 career marks on both the triple jump and long jump lists.
Junior Rebecca Hawkins (London, England) was the highest collegiate finisher in the high jump. She cleared 1.71m (7.25’) to place second overall.
- Junior shot putter Thelma Kristjansdottir (Reykjavik, Iceland) moved into 10th place on the UVA all-time list with a personal best mark of 14.08m (46’-2.5’). She hit the mark on her final put to finish sixth in the competition.
- Junior Kane Aldrich (Naples, Fla.) placed fourth in the pole vault with a personal best height of 4.95m (16’-2.75’)
- First-year Nadia Saunders (Stony Point, N.Y.) placed fourth in triple jump with a mark of 12.23m (40’-1.5’) that figures as the fourth best on the UVA freshman records list
- Claudio Romero (Santiago, Chile) was fourth in shot put at 17.46m (57’-3.5’)
- Freshman Gabriella Reece (Harrisburg, Pa.) set a personal best in the pole vault with a clearance of 3.74m (12’-3.25”)
- Former UVA standout Bridget Guy won the pole vault with mark of 4.70m (15’-5’). That topped her previous personal best of 4.61m
Quote from head coach Vin Lananna
“I am really happy that our jumpers were so good today at Virginia Tech. We have two more weeks of pre-championship meets to compete before we head to the ACC Championships.”
Virginia will send competitors to a pair of two-day competitions next weekend. The Cavaliers will attend the Tiger Paw Invite on Friday and Saturday (March 12-13) and also send squad members to Liberty for the Darius Dixon Memorial Invite on the same dates.