ATLANTA – The No. 11 Virginia men’s tennis team (11-5, 5-0 ACC) picked up a 4-3 victory at Georgia Tech (5-7, 0-3 ACC) on Friday (March 18) in Atlanta, Ga.
Georgia Tech won the doubles point, but the Cavaliers won the first four singles matches to take the victory. Fifth-year senior Gianni Ross clinched the match with a win on court four.
Georgia Tech picked up a 6-3 win on doubles court one to start the match. Ross and sophomore Jeffrey von der Schulenburg even it up with a 6-4 win on court two. The Yellow Jackets took the point with a 7-5 win on court three.
Von der Schulenburg raced to a 6-3, 6-3 win against Marcus McDaniel to tie the match. Grad student Jackson Allen won 7-6 (4), 6-3 against Brandon McKinney on court five to put UVA ahead 2-1. Sophomore Iñaki Montes rebounded from a 4-6 loss in his first set against No. 14 Andres Martin to win his second two 6-2, 6-4 to put UVA ahead 3-1. Ross clinched the victory with a 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 win against Chen Dong.
The Yellow Jackets won the final two singles courts to make it a 4-3 final.
FROM HEAD COACH ANDRES PEDROSO
“Our team showed some serious fight today. This was a culture win for the guys. A culture they have all built day by day together. I’m super proud of them. Our guys always fight and that’s one of the many reasons why they are a pleasure to coach.”
- Georgia Tech is No. 51 in the latest ITA team rankings
- Gianni Ross has won his last six completed matches
- Jeffrey von der Schulenburg has won his last eight completed matches
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers close out their road trip by playing at Clemson on Sunday, March 20 at 11 a.m.
Virginia 4, Georgia Tech 3
- #46 Inaki Montes (VA) def. #14 Andres Martin (GT)4-6, 6-2, 6-4
- #58 J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Marcus McDaniel (GT)6-3, 6-3
- Keshav Chopra (GT) def. #54 Ryan Goetz (VA)5-7, 7-6 (9-7), 6-4
- Gianni Ross (VA) def. Chen Dong (GT)4-6, 6-4, 6-2
- Jackson Allen (VA) def. Brandon McKinney (GT)7-6 (7-4), 6-3
- Pablo Schlecher (GT) def. Alexander Kiefer (VA)5-7, 6-2, 6-4
- #13 Andres Martin and Marcus McDaniel (GT) def. Ryan Goetz and William Woodall (VA)6-3
- Gianni Ross and J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Pablo Schlecher and Brandon McKinney (GT)6-4
- Keshav Chopra and Chen Dong (GT) def. Inaki Montes and Alexander Kiefer (VA)7-5
Order of finish: Singles — 2 5 1 4 6 3 ; Doubles — 1 2 3