CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 7 Virginia men’s tennis team (24-5) advanced to the Round of 16 of the 2022 NCAA Men’s Tennis Team Championship with a 4-0 victory against VCU (22-7) on Saturday (May 7) on the indoor courts of the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
The Cavaliers will host No. 10 South Carolina on Friday, May 13 at 3 p.m. in a Super Regional.
Senior Ryan Goetz and sophomore Iñaki Montes opened the match with a 6-0 victory on the No. 2 doubles court. Grad student Bar Botzer and sophomore Chris Rodesch clinched the point with a 6-4 win on the top court.
In singles, Rodesch won 6-2, 6-2 on court one against Charles Bertimon to give UVA a 2-0 lead. The Cavaliers then had three courts racing to clinch. Montes closed out a 6-4, 6-3 win against Maxence Bertimon on court two. Both senior Gianni Ross and sophomore Jeffrey von der Schulenburg had match points on courts six and three, with Ross finishing his match, a 6-4, 7-5 win against Rayane Stable to seal the victory.
FROM HEAD COACH ANDRES PEDROSO
“I was really proud of the way the guys came out in doubles with great energy. I wanted to see some improvement from yesterday and I did. That doubles point for us is really important. I feel really good against any team if we can win that doubles point. So if we come out the right way, we’re going to look like that and play like that. That was the goal today.”
“That’s what we work for all year – to be seeded in the top eight so that we can host the round of 16 and give our fans up close and personal look at an NCAA tournament match like this one and like next week’s against South Carolina. It means the world, so come out, everybody! We can use your help!”
- VCU is ranked No. 31 in the latest ITA team rankings
- This was Virginia’s 19th straight win
- This is Virginia’s 16th time advancing to the Round of 16 in the last 17 Championships
- The winner of the Virginia/South Carolina match will advance to the site of the finals in Champaign, Ill., with the quarterfinals through championship matches being contested May 19-22
#5 Virginia 4, VCU Men’s Tennis 0
- #30 Chris Rodesch (VA) def. #90 Charles Bertimon (VCU) 6-2, 6-2
- #39 Inaki Montes (VA) def. Maxence Bertimon (VCU) 6-4, 6-3
- #45 J vd Schulenburg (VA) vs. Inigo Torre Martin (VCU) 6-2, 6-5, unfinished
- #96 Ryan Goetz (VA) vs. Matisse Bobichon (VCU) 7-5, 3-3, unfinished
- Gianni Ross (VA) def. Rayane Stable (VCU) 6-4, 7-5
- Bar Botzer (VA) vs. Joaquim Almeida (VCU) 4-6, 2-5, unfinished
- #61 Bar Botzer/Chris Rodesch (VA) def. #33 Charles Bertimon/Maxence Bertimon (VCU) 6-4
- Ryan Goetz/Inaki Montes (VA) def. Inigo Torre Martin/Rayane Stable (VCU) 6-0
- Gianni Ross/J vd Schulenburg (VA) vs. Joaquim Almeida/Matisse Bobichon (VCU) 5-3, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,2,5)
NCAA Charlottesville Regional 2nd Round
Highlights vs. VCU