KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – The Virginia men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams combined for five wins on the second night at the Tennessee Invitational on Friday night.
Alex and Gretchen Walsh both picked up their second wins of the meet, while seniors Kate Douglass and Ella Nelson added wins for the women and junior Noah Nichols picked up a win for the men’s team.
UVA’s women lead all four teams (Tennessee, Michigan, North Carolina and Carson-Newman) with one more night to go. The men lead Carson-Newman heading into the final day of competition.
- Douglass and G. Walsh both dropped sub-50 times in the prelims of the 100-yard butterfly, becoming just the second and third women to do so this season. Douglass won the event with a time of 49.84. Walsh did not swim the finals to focus on other events. Senior Lexi Cuomo also finished in the A Final with a time of 52.93 to place fifth.
- Nelson led a trio of Cavaliers in the 400-yard individual medley, winning in an NCAA “A” time of 4:03.61 and the fastest time entering the weekend by seven seconds. Junior Sophia Wilson finished third (4:12.67) and junior Abby Harter was fourth (4:14.15).
- A. Walsh won the 100-yard breaststroke with the second-fastest time in UVA history and an NCAA “A” time of 57.94. Douglass was just behind Walsh for second in 58.14, the third-fastest time in UVA history. Graduate student Jaycee Yegher finished sixth after swimming a 59.18 (sixth-fastest all-time) in prelims. Freshman Emma Weber won the B Final and had the seventh-fastest time in UVA history (59.53).
- G. Walsh set a meet and pool record with her time of 50.13 to win the 100-yard backstroke. Freshman Carly Novelline finished fifth (52.49) and sophomore Ella Bathurst was sixth (52.97).
- Junior Maxine Parker finished third with a NCAA “B” time of 1:45.49 to podium in the 200-yard freestyle.
- Nichols won the men’s 100-yard breaststroke. His prelims time of 51.51 was a season best. Max Iida placed fourth with a NCAA “B” time of 53.20.
- Sophomore Tim Connery finished sixth with a time of 46.76 and senior Josh Fong tied for seventh in 47.03.
- Sophomore Matt Styczen won the B Final of the men’s 400-yard individual medley with an NCAA “B” time of 3:50.08.
- Freshman Sebastien Sergile swam a 1:35.44 to place fifth in the 200-yard freestyle and earn an NCAA “B” time.
- Junior Matt Brownstead, sophomore Jack Aikins and senior Max Edwards finished fifth, sixth and seventh, respectively, in the 100-yard backstroke.
- Sophomore Nicholas Sanders finished 11th on the 3m board with a score of 278.65.
- Senior Jennifer Bell scored a 282.65 to place fourth and sophomore Lizzy Kaye was fifth with a score of 279.00 on the 3m board.
Virginia closes out the Tennessee Invite on Saturday with prelims at 10 a.m. and finals at 6 p.m.