CHICAGO – The No. 5 Virginia men’s tennis team (8-4) suffered a 4-0 loss against No. 1 Ohio State (13-1) in a consolation match at the 2023 ITA National Team Indoor Championships on Sunday (Feb. 19) at the XS Tennis Village in Chicago, Ill.
Ohio State took a 6-0 decision on doubles court two to start the match. Juniors Alex Kiefer and Jeffrey von der Schulenburg won 6-4 on court three to even play. The battle of a pair of top-25 doubles teams at court one would prove to be the decider, with the match going to a tiebreaker. Ohio State’s Andrew Lutschaunig and James Trotter pulled out the 7-3 victory to clinch the double point for the Buckeyes.
Ohio State picked up straight-set victories on courts two, three and five to win the match.
The Cavaliers advanced to the ITA Indoors quarterfinals with a 4-3 victory against No. 12 Tennessee before falling 4-0 against No. 4 Michigan on Saturday.
This was the second meeting between UVA and Ohio State in eight days. The Buckeyes won the Feb. 11 meeting in Charlottesville by a 4-1 final.
#1 Ohio State 4, #5 Virginia 0
- Justin Boulais (OSU) vs. #70 Inaki Montes (VA) 7-6 (7-5), 2-2, unfinished
- Cannon Kingsley (OSU) def. #29 Chris Rodesch (VA) 6-3, 6-2
- #9 JJ Tracy (OSU) def. #30 J vd Schulenburg (VA) 6-4, 6-4
- #28 James Trotter (OSU) vs. Ryan Goetz (VA) 6-1, 4-6, 0-1, unfinished
- #75 Robert Cash (OSU) def. Alexander Kiefer (VA) 6-4, 6-2
- Jack Anthrop (OSU) vs. Mans Dahlberg (VA) 0-6, 6-3, 1-2, unfinished
- #25 Andrew Lutschaunig/James Trotter (OSU) def. #20 Ryan Goetz/Chris Rodesch (VA) 7-6 (7-3)
- Justin Boulais/Robert Cash (OSU) def. Mans Dahlberg/Inaki Montes (VA) 6-0
- Alexander Kiefer/J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. JJ Tracy/Cannon Kingsley (OSU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,5,3)
ITA Indoors – Consolation