CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 21 Virginia men’s tennis team (10-4, 2-0 ACC) closed the weekend with a 4-0 victory against No. 15 Florida State (8-4, 1-1 ACC) on Sunday (March 5) at the Virginia Tennis Facility at the Boar’s Head Resort.
The Cavaliers won the doubles point and swept all six first sets against the Seminoles. Junior Chris Rodesch clinched the victory with a straight-set victory against Antoine Cornut-Chauvinc, who is currently No. 2 in the ITA singles rankings.
Rodesch and William Woodall opened the match with a 6-2 win on the top doubles court. Iñaki Montes and Ryan Goetz clinched the point with a 6-3 victory on court two.
Jeffrey von der Schulenburg made it 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-3 victory on court three against Youcef Rihane. Alex Kiefer added a third point with a 6-4, 6-2 win against Alex Bulte on court six.
Rodesch took the first set 6-2 against Cornut-Chauvic on the top court and closed out the match with a 6-4 win in the second set. It was the first dual match loss for Cornut-Chauvic after starting the spring season 9-0 and 21-3 overall. This is the highest-ranked player that Rodesch has defeated in his collegiate career.
FROM HEAD COACH ANDRES PEDROSO
“I am proud of our guys. Florida State has a great team. There’s no question we’ll see them at the ACC championships. I was happy with our style of play across the board in doubles and singles. I was happy with the way we looked, with the way we competed, and am really proud of William Woodall and what he’s doing for us in doubles right now. And again, another good step in the right direction for this team.”
- This was Virginia’s first outdoor match of the dual season
- Virginia has won 28 straight ACC contests, including back-to-back 12-0 conference seasons in 2021 and 2022
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers are on the road next week, playing at No. 20 Louisville on Friday, March 10 and at Notre Dame on Sunday, March 12
#21 Virginia 4, #15 Florida State 0
- #36 Chris Rodesch (VA) def. #2 A. Cornut-Chauvinc (FSU) 6-2, 6-4
- #43 Inaki Montes (VA) vs. Loris Pourroy (FSU) 6-2, 3-4, unfinished
- #25 J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. #89 Youcef Rihane (FSU) 6-2, 6-3
- #108 Ryan Goetz (VA) vs. J. Dous-Karpenschif (FSU) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
- Mans Dahlberg (VA) vs. #116 Andreja Petrovic (FSU) 7-5, 0-4, unfinished
- Alexander Kiefer (VA) def. Alex Bulte (FSU) 6-4, 6-2
- Chris Rodesch/William Woodall (VA) def. Maks Silagy/J. Dous-Karpenschif (FSU) 6-2
- Inaki Montes/Ryan Goetz (VA) def. Barnaby Smith/A. Cornut-Chauvinc (FSU) 6-3
- Alexander Kiefer/J vd Schulenburg (VA) vs. Alex Bulte/Loris Pourroy (FSU) 3-4, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,6,1)