— Virginia Men's Tennis (@UVAMensTennis) March 19, 2023
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No.12 Virginia men’s tennis team (14-4, 6-0 ACC) defeated No. 13 Duke (11-5, 4-1 ACC) 7-0 on Sunday (March 19) at the Boar’s Head Sports Club indoor courts.
Virginia won the doubles point and won the first set on all six courts. The Cavaliers clinched the victory with three straight-set wins on courts two, five and six and then won third sets on the final three to complete the sweep.
Iñaki Montes and Ryan Goetz opened play with a 6-1 win on the top doubles court. Alex Kiefer and Jeffrey von der Schulenburg clinched the point with a 6-4 win on court three.
In singles, Iñaki Montes won 6-2, 6-0 on court two to put the Cavaliers ahead 2-0.
Måns Dahlberg and Alex Kiefer picked up straight-set victories on courts five and six to clinch the victory. They were the last two first sets to finish as they both went to tiebreakers. Dahlberg, playing Andrew Dale on five, won his breaker 7-3, and then took the second set 6-2. Kiefer won his breaker 7-1 and topped Michael Heller 6-4 in the second to clinch the match.
Jeffrey von der Schulenburg won 6-4, 2-6, 6-2 against Pedro Rodenas on court three to put UVA up 5-0. Goetz rebounded from being edged 7-5 in a tiebreaker to decide his second set against Connor King on court four by winning the third set 6-2.
Chris Rodesch preserved the shutout with a 6-4, 6-7 (2), 6-3 win against No. 12 Garrett Johns on the top court.
FROM ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH SCOTT BROWN
“It was another battle with another ACC rival in the Duke Blue Devils. It’s never easy against them. What I think our players did the best of was staying poised and calm throughout the ups and downs and momentum swings that always happen. That was one of our better mental efforts with our body language and energy. I’m really proud of the guys all across the board -doubles and singles. We talked about it yesterday and they really came out and did a great job of that today.”
- Virginia has won 32 straight matches in ACC play and 39 straight matches against ACC opponents
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia closes out its homestand by hosting Virginia Tech on Wednesday, March 22 at 3 p.m. in the Smithfield Commonwealth Clash
#12 Virginia 7, #13 Duke 0
- #25 Chris Rodesch (VA) def. #12 Garrett Johns (DU) 6-4, 6-7 (2), 6-3
- #37 Inaki Montes (VA) def. Andrew Zhang (DU) 6-2, 6-0
- #32 J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. #73 Pedro Rodenas (DU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
- #111 Ryan Goetz (VA) def. Connor Krug (DU) 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-2
- Mans Dahlberg (VA) def. Andrew Dale (DU) 7-6 (3), 6-2
- Alexander Kiefer (VA) def. Michael Heller (DU) 7-6 (1), 6-4
- Inaki Montes/Ryan Goetz (VA) def. #49 Michael Heller/Andrew Zhang (DU) 6-1
- Chris Rodesch/William Woodall (VA) vs. #71 Garrett Johns/Pedro Rodenas (DU) 5-4, unfinished
- Alexander Kiefer/J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Connor Krug/Teddy Truwit (DU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,5,6,3,4,1)