Alex Kiefer talks about today’s 4-2 win against Miami in the #ACCMTEN quarterfinals #GoHoos⚔️ pic.twitter.com/K8ldLzpN0T
— Virginia Men's Tennis (@UVAMensTennis) April 21, 2023
CARY, N.C. – The Virginia men’s tennis team (22-4, 12-0 ACC) picked up a 4-2 victory in the quarterfinals of the ACC Men’s Tennis Championship against Miami (15-10, 5-7 ACC) on Friday (April 21) at Cary Tennis Park in Cary, N.C.
Virginia dropped the doubles point but rallied in singles to advance in the tournament. Junior Alexander Kiefer won the clinching point at No. 5 singles.
Virginia, the top seed in the tournament, faces 5-seed Florida State (19-7, 8-4 ACC) on Saturday, April 22 at 2 p.m. in the semifinals. Due to forecasted inclement weather, the match has been moved to the indoor courts at Duke.
The Hurricanes won on doubles courts two and three to take the 1-0 lead. Chris Rodesch evened the match with a 6-3, 6-2 win against Dan Martin on the top court. It was Rodesch’s ninth straight singles victory. Jeffrey von der Schulenburg gave UVA a 2-1 lead with a 6-2, 6-3 win on court three. Miami tied the match with a 6-2, 6-2 win by Franco Aubone on court six. Ryan Goetz closed out a 6-3, 6-1 victory on court four to put UVA on the brink. Kiefer topped Nacho Serra Sanchez 6-4, 6-2 to clinch the victory.
Iñaki Montes was leading 6-4, 5-2 on court two when play was suspended.
Because of the change of venue, there will not be an ACCNX stream of Saturday’s match, but live court video will be available from Duke’s Playsight cams.
UVA has won 14 ACC titles, including the last two.
1-Seed Virginia 4, 8-Seed Miami 2
- #10 Chris Rodesch (VA) def. #24 Dan Martin (UM) 6-3, 6-2
- #21 Inaki Montes (VA) vs. Antonio Prat (UM) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
- #43 J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. #99 Martin Katz (UM) 6-2, 6-3
- #83 Ryan Goetz (VA) def. Leo Bierbaum (UM) 6-3, 6-1
- Alexander Kiefer (VA) def. Nacho Serra Sanchez (UM) 6-4, 6-2
- Franco Aubone (UM) def. Douglas Yaffa (VA) 6-2, 6-2
- William Woodall/Inaki Montes (VA) vs. Juan Martin Jalif/Martin Vergara (UM) 4-5, unfinished
- Franco Aubone/Dan Martin (UM) def. Chris Rodesch/J vd Schulenburg (VA) 6-4
- Antonio Prat/Martin Katz (UM) def. Ryan Goetz/Alexander Kiefer (VA) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,6,3,4,5)