HIGH SCHOOL/CLUB HOCKEY
- Three-time All South-Zone honoree
- Helped St. John’s win the Southwest Preparatory Championship in both 2018 and 2019
- Three-time NFHCA High School National Academic Squad (2017, 2018, 2019)
- Max Field Hockey Top Performer
- Member of the Texas Pride Field Hockey Club
- Parents are Jennifer and Wil VanLoh
- Has two older sisters, Grace and Sarah
- “I am passionate about raising awareness and funds for the orphans and vulnerable children in Lusaka, Zambia. By starting my jewelry business, I found a way to do this by using my artistic abilities and creativity. I raised over $10,000 and used this money to buy a playground for the children who attend Chainda Legacy Academy (one of the schools Family Legacy (the organization) built for the children in this community) so that the kids, who experience so much hardship and have so many responsibilities at a young age, can just be kids and have fun.”
- Has worked as a camp counselor at Camp Life in Lusaka, Zambia. For one week during the summer, 11 Zambian orphan girls who live in the slums of Lusaka attend this camp. She has formed relationships with these girls on a deeper level and keep in touch through letters. She has gone back almost every summer since 2012.
- She has drilled water wells for the communities in Arura, Uganda, working with a program called 4africa.
- She has also visited the Leadership Academy of South Sudan.
IN HER OWN WORDS
I choose Virginia because:
I love the atmosphere of UVA and the history behind it. It has great academics and a great athletic program. I love the field hockey coaches and community.
What impact can I see myself making in the UVA community:
I think I can impact the field hockey team by always bringing forth my best effort with high intensity and working for my teammates. Both on and off the field, I will bring a positive attitude and hard work ethic. I also look forward to getting involved in other aspects of the UVA community, like clubs and community service groups.
Why do my teammates want me on their team during the most challenging situation or what I can offer the team in the most challenged good situation:
I will support them with positive encouragement and always give 100%.
What makes me laugh?
Cute animal videos make me laugh.
FROM COACH MADISON
“Mary’s game grows every time I see her play. She does the work to get in position ahead of the ball and has the skills to finish around the goal mouth. It always takes time for the incomings to adjust their game to the overall speed and Mary will need that time. The good thing is, I know she can do it. She is coachable, so the sky is the limit. Fitness and physicality will have to improve over the summer.”