UVa Women's Tennis Loses ACC Match to Florida State, 4-3
April 12, 2001
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The University of Virginia women’s tennis team lost an Atlantic Coast Conference match, 4-3, to #43 Florida State on Thursday (April 12) in Charlotte, N.C. The match was originally scheduled for Mar. 18 in Tallahassee, Fla., but rain forced the cancellation of that match. The match was then moved to a neutral court in Charlotte, N.C.
Second-year Jennifer Tuchband (Millburn, N.J. / Millburn), and fourth-year Kelly Weaver (Kingston, N.Y. / Kingston) won their match at No. 3 doubles. The victory was not enough for the Cavaliers to capture the doubles point, however, as UVa’s top two doubles teams both lost.In singles, fourth-year Christie Schweer (Houston, Texas / Memorial) defeated Nanette Duxin at No. 3 singles, 6-4, 6-2. Tuchband won her singles match at o. 4, 6-1, 6-3, and Weaver turned in another victory at No. 6 over Natalie Carratal?, 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2). Virginia lost at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 4, however, which accounted for the 4-3 final margin.
The Cavaliers (13-8, 2-4 in the ACC) return to action this weekend (April 14-15) when they host Wake Forest and N.C. State, respectively. Virginia’s match with Wake Forest is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. on Saturday (April 14) at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Sunday match with N.C. State will take place at 1:00 p.m. at Snyder.
FSU 4, Virginia 3
1. Balbuena/ Schoeffel (FSU) def. Shweer/Williams (UVa), 8-4.
2. Gallovits/Duxin (FSU) def. O’Donnell/Kim (UVa), 8-5.3. Tuchband/Weaver (UVa) def. Carratal?/Raic (FSU), 8-4.
Singles 1. Alida Gallovits (FSU) def. O’Donnell (UVa), 6-2, 6-1.
2. Samantha Schoeffel (FSU) def. Henriette Williams (UVa), 6-2, 6-0.3. Christie Schweer (UVa) def. Nanette Duxin (FSU), 6-4, 6-2.
4. Jennifer Tuchband (UVa) def. Jessica Balbuena (FSU), 6-1, 6-3.5. Marina Raic (FSU) def. Laura James (UVa), 7-5, 6-2.
6. Kelly Weaver (UVa) def. Natalie Carratal? (FSU), 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2).