UVa Women's Tennis Loses 4-0 to Kentucky in NCAA First Round Match
May 12, 2001
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The University of Virginia women’s tennis team lost its first round match in the NCAA Division I Women’s Tennis Championships, 4-0, to Kentucky on Saturday, May 12, at the Vandy Christie Tennis Center in Evanston, Ill. The Wildcats won the doubles point by virtue of victories at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles, and clinched the match with three wins at the No. 3, No. 4, and No. 5 singles slots.
Virginia’s Henriette Williams (Raleigh, N.C./ Broughton) was ahead in her match at No. 2 singles when Kentucky clinched the 4-0 victory. Williams was the only Cavalier who was ahead at the time the match was called.
The Cavaliers were making their first appearance in the NCAA Tournament since 1998. Virginia has advanced past the first round only one time, in 1996, when the ‘Hoos defeated Pennsylvania in the first round before falling to William & Mary in the second round.
UVa finishes the 2000-01 campaign with a 15-11 overall record. The Cavaliers defeated four ranked teams on the season, including a 4-3 victory over then-17th-ranked North Carolina in the first round of the Atlantic Coast Conference. That win helped the Cavaliers clinch their fifth all-time appearance in the NCAA Championships.
Kentucky 4, Virginia 0
1. Skeen/Rookledge (Ken.) def. Shweer/Williams (UVa), 8-3.
2. Mayorga/Witten (Ken.) def. O’Donnell/Kim (UVa), 8-0.3. Tuchband/Weaver (UVa) vs. Amy Trefethen/Jill Buckley (Ken.), DNF.
Singles 1. Amy O’Donnell (UVa) vs. Carolina Mayorga (Ken.), DNF.
2. Henriette Williams (UVa) vs. Sarah Witten (Ken.), DNF.3. Brooke Skeen (Ken.) def. Christie Schweer (UVa), 6-3, 6-2.
4. Leigh Bradwell (Ken.) def. Jennifer Tuchband (UVa), 6-4, 6-1.5. Lauren Rookledge (Ken.) def. Laura James (UVa), 6-2, 6-0.
6. Kelly Weaver (UVa) vs. Shannon Stafford (Ken.), DNF.