Cavalier Men's Tennis Wins at Georgia Tech 5-2
March 14, 2004
ATLANTA – The No. 19 ranked Virginia men’s tennis team continued its school record start to the season by defeating No. 39 Georgia Tech 5-2 Sunday afternoon in Atlanta. With the victory, the Cavaliers are off to a school record 13-1 start, and remain in first place in the ACC with a 3-0 conference mark.
The Cavaliers took the early advantage by taking the doubles point for a 1-0 lead. The highlight of the doubles came when the No. 17 ranked Virginia duo of Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) and Nick Meythaler (Owensboro, Ky.) downed No. 15 ranked Scott Schnugg and Marko Rajevic. The Cavaliers clinched the point with a 9-7 win at No. 3 doubles by Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) and Doug Stewart (Malibu, Calif.) over Joao Menano and Zachary Rath.
In singles play, Virginia quickly extended its lead to 2-0 when Cohen defeated Menano in straight sets at No. 6, 6-4, 6-2. The Yellow Jackets (10-4, 3-2) closed that lead to 2-1 when Rath was victorious over Meythaler at No. 5. Stewart increased the lead to 3-1 for Virginia as the No. 24 ranked player in the nation downed Schnugg in three sets at No. 1. After No. 78 ranked Jose Muguruza won over Stephen Rozek (Chardon, Ohio) at No. 3 tp close the advantage again, the Cavaliers won the final two matches to clinch the match. At No. 2, Rizza’s win over Jason Pieters clinched the dual match and Marko Miklo (Bratislava, Slovakia) closed out the match by rallying for a three set win over West Nott at No. 4.
“We knew this was an important match and our guys came through with a total team effort,” said Virginia assistant coach Tony Bresky. “We fought hard and I think our fitness allowed us to win some close matches. I was also pleased with how we picked up our intensity in doubles.”
The Cavaliers return home on Wednesday, March 17 as they host No. 67 Old Dominion.Time of the match at the Snyder Tennis Center is 3:30 p.m.
No. 19 Virginia 5, No. 39 Georgia Tech 2
1. No. 24 Doug Stewart (UVa) def. Scott Schnugg (GT) 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
2. Rylan Rizza (UVa) def. Jason Pieters (GT) 6-2, 6-7, 6-4
3. No. 78 Jose Muguruza (GT) def. Stephen Rozek (UVa) 6-4, 7-5
4. Marko Miklo (UVa) def. West Nott (GT) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Zachary Rath (GT) def. Nick Meythaler (UVa) 6-3, 6-4
6. Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. Joao Menano (GT) 6-4, 6-2
1. No. 17 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) def. No. 15 Schnugg/Rajevic (GT) 8-4
2. Nott/Pieters (GT) def. Miklo/Rozek (UVa) 9-8
3. Cohen/Stewart (UVa) def. Menano/Rath (GT) 9-7