Men's Tennis Down Old Dominion 5-2
April 8, 2004
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 15 ranked Virginia men’s tennis team won its second match in as many days, topping No. 60 Old Dominion 5-2 Thursday afternoon at the Snyder Tennis Center. The win improves the Cavaliers’ record to 18-3 on the season, as the Monarchs fall to 10-8.
The Cavaliers took control of the match early by sweeping the three doubles matches for a 1-0 lead. The No. 31 ranked team of Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) and Nick Meythaler (Owensboro, Ky.) won at No. 1 before Marko Miklo (Bratislava, Slovakia) and Stephen Rozek (Chardon, Ohio) won at No. 3 to clinch the point. Doug Stewart (Malibu, Calif.) and Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) completed the sweep with their win at No. 2.
In singles play, the Cavaliers wasted little time extending their lead to 3-0. Miklo cruised to a 6-2, 6-0 win over Zoltan Csanadi at No. 2. At No. 1, No. 21 ranked Stewart upset No. 12 ranked Izak van der Merwe 6-3, 6-3 to extend the Cavalier lead. The match was then clinched by Meythaler at No. 4 as he completed a 6-1, 6-3 win over Niklas Oskarsson at No. 5. Cohen posted the final point of the day for Virginia as he rallied for a three set win over Nate Grover at No. 6.
“Old Dominion is a quality team and I thought we handled the challenge well,” said head coach Brian Boland. “It was a good match to get us ready for a key match on Sunday.”
The Cavaliers close out the regular season on Sunday as they host No. 5 Duke at 1:00 p.m. at the Snyder Tennis Center. Both teams have just one ACC loss on the season and Sunday’s match will have a major impact on the seeding at the following week’s ACC Tournament.
No. 15 Virginia 5, No. 60 Old Dominion 2
1. No. 21 Doug Stewart (UVa) def. No. 12 Izak van der Merwe (ODU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Marko Miklo (UVa) def. Zoltan Csanadi (ODU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Calin Milos (ODU) def. Rylan Rizza (UVa) 7-6, 1-6, 6-1
4. Henrique Cancado (ODU) def. Stephen Rozek (UVa) 6-3, 7-5
5. Nick Meythaler (UVa) def. Niklas Oskarsson (ODU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. Nate Grover (ODU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
1. No. 31 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) def. Grover/van der Merwe (ODU) 8-4
2. Cohen/Stewart (UVa) def. Csanadi/Milos (ODU) 8-5
3. Rozek/Miklo (UVa) def. Oskarsson/Mello (ODU) 8-1