Cavalier Men's Tennis Tops Alabama 6-1
Feb. 11, 2005
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 9 ranked Virginia men’s tennis team posted its fourth consecutive victory to open the season, downing No. 36 Alabama 6-1 Friday night before a capacity crowd of 300 at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
The Cavaliers (4-0) opened the match strong, sweeping the doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. The team of Doug Stewart (Malibu, Calif.) and Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) cruised to an 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles, before Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) and Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) won at No. 2 doubles to clinch the point. The No. 19 ranked team of Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) and Nick Meythaler (Owensboro, Ky.) completed the sweep with their win at No. 1 doubles.
In singles, the Cavaliers kept their momentum, winning the first five matches off the court to take a 6-0 lead. Huey extended the lead to 2-0 with his win at No. 5 singles. No. 36 ranked Rizza downed No. 92 Joseph Jung at No. 2 singles to extend the lead to 3-0. Devvarman then clinched the match with his straight set win at No. 3 singles. In a battle of two highly ranked opponents at No. 1 singles, No. 19 Stewart defeated No. 31 Luigi D’Agord 6-3, 6-3. Cohen picked up the final win of the night for the Cavaliers at No. 6 singles, before the Crimson Tide (4-2) recorded a win at No. 4 in the final match of the night.
The Cavaliers conclude their five-match season opening homestand on Saturday, as they host No. 70 Indiana at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. Time of the match is 2:00 p.m.
No. 9 Virginia 6, No. 36 Alabama 1
1. #19 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) def. D’Agord/Struyf (Ala) 8-6
2. Devvarman/Huey (UVa) def. Molnar/Bes (Ala) 8-5
3. Cohen/Stewart (UVa) def. Murray/Kindervater (Ala) 8-1
1. #19 Doug Stewart (UVa) def. #31 Luigi D’Agord (Ala) 6-3, 6-3
2. #36 Rylan Rizza (UVa) def. #92 Joseph Jung (Ala) 6-1, 6-4
3. #22 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) def. Eric Molnar (Ala) 6-3, 6-2
4. Javier Bes (Ala) def. #63 Marko Miklo (UVa) 6-4, 7-6
5. #104 Treat Huey (UVa) def. RJ Murray (Ala) 6-0, 6-1
6. Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. Billy Mertz (Ala) 7-6, 6-4