Cavalier Men's Tennis Remains Undefeated with Win Over Indiana
Feb. 12, 2005
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 9 ranked Virginia men’s tennis remained undefeated on the season, downing No. 70 Indiana 5-2 Saturday afternoon at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers (5-0) won each match of their season-opening homestand, taking 31 of the 35 possible points.
Virginia opened the match by taking the doubles point. The team of Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) and Nick Meythaler (Owensboro, Ky.) posted a win at No. 1 doubles, before the team of first-years Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) and Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) clinched the point at No. 2 doubles.
In singles, the Cavaliers won the first four matches off the court to build a 5-0 lead. In a battle of nationally ranked players, No. 19 Stewart topped No. 61 Jakub Praibis 6-4, 6-1. Huey made the score 3-0 with a straight set win at No. 4 before Devvarman clinched the match with his win at No. 2 singles. Marko Miklo (Bratislava, Slovakia) won at No. 3 singles to further increase the Cavalier advantage to 5-0 before the Hoosiers (2-3) won the final two matches on the courts.
The Cavaliers will take to the road for the first time this season as they travel to Chicago, Ill. for the USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championships. The 16-team field features 15 of the top 25 teams in the nation at the four-day event, running February 17-20. The Cavaliers open play Thursday at noon (CT) with a first round match against No. 7 Stanford.
No. 9 Virginia 5, No. 70 Indiana 2
1. #19 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) def. Praibis/Ishtuganov (IU) 8-5
2. Devvarman/Huey (UVa) def. Recht/Stone (IU) 9-7
3. McCarthy/McLoughlin (IU) def. Stewart/Riley (UVa) 8-4
1. #19 Doug Stewart (UVa) def. #61 Jakub Praibis (IU) 6-4, 6-1
2. #22 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) def. Ryan Recht (IU) 6-3, 6-4
3. #63 Marko Miklo (UVa) def. Dmytro Ishtuganov (IU) 6-4, 6-2
4. #104 Treat Huey (UVa) def. Michael McCarthy (IU) 7-5, 6-1
5. Tom Bagnato (IU) def. Jarrett Chirico (UVa) 6-3, 7-6
6. David Bubenicek (IU) def. Stephen Rozek (UVa) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2