Cavalier Women's Tennis Tops UC-Santa Barbara 5-2
March 7, 2005
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – The No. 62 ranked Virginia women’s tennis team snapped a three-match losing streak by opening their spring break trip to California with a 5-2 win over No. 75 UC-Santa Barbara Monday afternoon. The Cavaliers improve to 4-5 on the season with the win.
Virginia took an early lead by winning the doubles point. The team of Douglas Wink (Greensboro, N.C.) and Rachel DelPriore (Williamsville, N.Y.) coasted to an 8-1 win at No. 1 doubles. Kristen James (Clifton, Va.) and Lori Stern (Ojai, Calif.) then clinched the point with an 8-4 win at No. 2 doubles.
In singles, the Cavaliers took four of the six matches to win the match 5-2. Wink downed Chelsea Glynn 6-2, 6-0 at No. 2 singles. Stern defeated Andrea Pintar 7-6, 6-1 at No. 3 singles. DelPriore posted a 6-4, 6-1 win over Charlotte Scatliffe at No. 5 singles and Marta Bechliwanis (Etobicoke, Ont.) won at No. 6 singles, 6-4, 6-3 over Mio Fukushima.
“I was pleased with the win, especially since this was our first match outdoors this season,” said Virginia head coach Phil Rogers. “I was impressed by UCSB and the fight they had in the match. Our team has faced some adversity recently and today we came together as a team and played a great match.”
The Cavaliers will return to action on March 9 as they visit No. 37 Pepperdine.
No. 62 Virginia 5, No. 75 UCSB 2
1. Wink/Del Priore (UVa) def. Gruenig/Scatliffe (UCSB) 8-1
2. Stern/James (UVa) def. Glynn/Fukushima (UCSB) 8-4
3. Pintar/Damion (UCSB) def. Pereira/Hammond (UVa) 8-5
1. Marielle Gruenig (UCSB) def. Kristen James (UVa) 6-4, 6-2
2. Douglas Wink (UVa) def. Chelsea Glynn (UCSB) 6-2, 6-0
3. Lori Stern (UVa) def. Andrea Pintar (UCSB) 7-6 (7), 6-1
4. Rachel DelPriore (UVa) def. Charlotte Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-4, 6-1
5. Leslie Damion (UCSB) def. Dora Bechliwanis (UVa) 6-4, 6-2
6. Marta Bechliwanis (UVa) def. Mio Fukushima (UCSB) 6-4, 6-3