Cavalier Men's Tennis Blanks Maryland 7-0
April 6, 2005
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The third ranked Virginia men’s tennis team remained undefeated in the ACC with a 7-0 win over Maryland Wednesday afternoon at the Snyder Tennis Center. The win was the Cavaliers’ 13th consecutive home win and eighth consecutive conference win.
The Cavaliers (18-2, 6-0) opened the match strong by sweeping the doubles matches for a 1-0 lead. The No. 60 ranked team of Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) and Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) got the Cavaliers started with an 8-2 win over Scott Fink and David Reichsfeld at No. 2 doubles. The No. 32 ranked team of Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) and Nick Meythaler (Owensboro, Ky.) then clinched the point with an 8-4 win over Ian Bliss and Troy Demers at No. 1 doubles. First-years Jarrett Chirico (Sarasota, Fla.) and Eric Riley (Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.) completed the sweep with a 9-7 win over Michael Coleman and Josh Brauser at No. 3 doubles.
In singles, the Cavalier advantage was extended quickly to 2-0 when Huey cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 win over Reichsfeld at No. 4 singles. Devvarman made the score 3-0 when he completed a 6-3, 6-2 over Fink at No. 3 singles. Stephen Rozek (Chardon, Ohio) then clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Coleman at the No. 6 position. Meythaler added a 6-4, 6-1 win over Brauser at No. 5 and Rizza downed Bliss 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2 before Doug Stewart (Malibu, Calif.) completed the sweep with a straight set win over Demers at No. 1.
The Cavaliers will return to action on Friday as they travel to Duke for a showdown with the fifth-ranked Blue Devils. Duke and Virginia are the only two teams still undefeated in ACC play this season. The match is set to begin at 1:30 p.m.
No. 3 Virginia 7, Maryland 0
1. #32 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) Bliss/Demers (UM) 8-4
2. #60 Devvarman/Huey (UVa) def. Fink/Reichsfeld (UM) 8-2
3. Chirico/Riley (UVa) def. Coleman/Brauser (UM) 9-7
1. #11 Doug Stewart (UVa) def. Troy Demers (UM) 6-4, 6-4
2. #59 Rylan Rizza (UVa) def. Ian Bliss (UM) 6-2, 6-2
3. #17 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) def. Scott Fink (UM) 6-3, 6-2
4. Treat Huey (UVa) def. David Reichsfeld (UM) 6-1, 6-1
5. Nick Meythaler (UVa) def. Josh Brauser (UM) 6-4, 6-1
6. Stephen Rozek (UVa) def. Michael Coleman (UM) 6-3, 6-2