Cavaliers Down North Carolina for 20th Win of the Season
April 10, 2005
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – The third ranked Virginia men’s tennis team secured its third consecutive 20 win season, downing No. 40 North Carolina 5-2 Sunday afternoon at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. The win improved the Cavaliers’ record to 20-2 on the season (8-0 ACC) and put them one win away from their first ever undefeated ACC regular season. The Cavaliers also snapped a five match losing streak to the Tar Heels dating back to the 2000 season.
The match opened with the Cavaliers sweeping all three doubles contests for a 1-0 lead. Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) and Doug Stewart (Malibu, Calif.) got Virginia started with an 8-4 win over David Stone and Will Plyler at No. 3 doubles. The No. 60 ranked team of Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) and Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) then clinched the point with an 8-5 win over Raian Luchici and Jonathan Janda at No. 2 doubles. The No. 32 ranked team of Nick Meythaler (Owensboro, Ky.) and Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) closed out the sweep with an 8-6 win over No. 41 ranked Geoff Boyd and Brad Pomeroy.
In singles, the Cavaliers won the first three matches off the courts quickly to secure the dual match win. Huey made the score 2-0 when he crusied to a 6-1, 6-2 win over Derek Porter at No. 4 singles. No. 11 ranked Stewart downed No. 72 Luchici 6-0, 6-2 at No. 1 singles. No. 17 ranked Devvarman then clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Boyd at No. 3 singles. North Carolina won the next two matches as Sebastian Guejman upset No. 50 ranked Cohen in three sets at No. 6 singles and Janda upset No. 125 ranked Marko Miklo (Bratislava, Slovakia) in a third-set superbreaker. No. 59 ranked Rizza closed out the match with a three set win over Pomeroy at No. 2 singles.
The Cavaliers return to action on April 15 as they host Clemson in their regular season finale. Match time at the Snyder Tennis Center is 2:00 p.m.
No. 3 Virginia 5, No. 40 North Carolina 2
1. #32 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) def. #41 Boyd/Pomeroy (UNC) 8-6
2. #60 Devvarman/Huey (UVa) def. Luchici/Janda (UNC) 8-5
3. Cohen/Stewart (UVa) def. Stone/Plyler (UNC) 8-4
1. #11 Doug Stewart (UVa) def. #72 Raian Luchici (UNC) 6-0, 6-2
2. #59 Rylan Rizza (UVa) def. Brad Pomeroy (UNC) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. #17 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) def. Geoff Boyd (UNC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Treat Huey (UVa) def. Derek Porter (UNC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Jonathan Janda (UNC) def. #125 Marko Miklo (UVa) 0-6, 6-4, 10-7
6. Sebastian Guejman (UNC) def. #50 Darrin Cohen (UVa) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2