April 23, 2005
CARY, N.C. – VIRGINIA MEN’S TENNIS DEFEATS WAKE FOREST TO REACH ACC FINAL
For Immediate ReleaseVirginia Men’s TennisApril 23, 2005
CARY, N.C. – The second ranked Virginia men’s tennis team reached the 2005 ACC Tournament final with a 4-0 semifinal win over No. 17 ranked Wake Forest Saturday at the Cary Tennis Center. It was the 16th consecutive win for the Cavaliers against an ACC opponent as they look to repeat as the conference champion.
The Cavaliers (23-2) came out strong in doubles for the second consecutive match at the tournament. The No. 47 ranked team of Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) and Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) got on the board first with an 8-3 win over Marius Adamski and Andrew Hamar at No. 2 doubles. Minutes later, Virginia clinched the point when Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) and Doug Stewart (Malibu, Calif.) defeated Joe Bates and Todd Paul 8-3 at No. 3 doubles. At No. 1 doubles, Nick Meythaler (Owensboro, Ky.) and Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palose Verdes, Calif.) led 6-3 when the match was abandoned.
In singles, the Cavaliers extended their lead when Huey completed a 6-3, 6-2 win over Brett Ross at the No. 4 position. Cohen made the score 3-0 when he finished a 6-1, 7-5 win over Liron Strauss at No. 6 singles. Stewart then clinched the match as he defeated Derrick Spice 7-6, 7-6 at No. 1 singles. The other three matches were abandoned.
The win was Virginia’s 23rd win of the season, one shy of the school record 24 wins set last season. Saturday’s win also extended the Cavaliers’ school record win streak to 12 matches.
The Cavaliers will look to capture their second consecutive ACC Championship on Sunday when they play Florida State. The championship match will begin at 11:00 a.m. at the Cary Tennis Center.
No. 2 Virginia 4, No. 17 Wake Forest 0
1. #17 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) led Spice/Ross (WF) 6-3 DNF
2. #60 Devvarman/Huey (UVa) def. Hamar/Adamski (WF) 8-3
3. Cohen/Stewart (UVa) def. Paul/Bates (WF) 8-3
1. #15 Doug Stewart (UVa) def. #54 Derrick Spice (WF) 7-6, 7-6
2. #51 Todd Paul (WF) led #26 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) 4-6, 6-3, 3-1 DNF
3. #91 Andrew Hamar (WF) led #59 Rylan Rizza (UVa) 3-6, 6-3, 3-2 DNF
4. Treat Huey (UVa) def. Brett Ross (WF) 6-3, 6-2
5. Marius Adamski (WF) led #109 Marko Miklo (UVa) 6-3, 5-5 DNF
6. #68 Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. Liron Strauss (WF) 6-1, 7-5