No. 1 Virginia Men's Tennis Downs No. 54 Minnesota
Jan. 21, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team concluded its season opening three-match road trip with a 5-2 win over No. 54 Minnesota Saturday night at the Baseline Tennis Center. With the victory, the Cavaliers improve to 2-1 on the season while the Golden Gophers dropped to 0-1 this year.
For the first time this season, the Cavaliers opened a match by taking the doubles point. The No. 35 ranked team of Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) and Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) scored a win at No. 1 doubles, defeating D.J. Geatz and Andreas Osorio 8-5. Eric Riley (Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.) and Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) won at No. 3 doubles for the Cavaliers, downing Mikey Kantar and Sion Wilkins 8-4.
In singles, the Golden Gophers tied the match at 1-1 after a victory at No. 5 singles. Virginia retook the lead, 2-1, when Cohen completed a 6-0, 6-3 win over Brian Lipinski at the No. 6 position. However, Minnesota tied the match again at 2-2 with a win at the No. 3 position. The Cavaliers retook the lead for good at 3-2 when Devvarman completed a straight set win over Nic Edlefsen at No. 1 singles. Huey then clinched the dual match victory at No. 4 singles with a straight set win over Adrien Debreyne. Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) closed out the match by rallying for a three set victory at No. 2 singles over Osario.
The Cavaliers return to Charlottesville where they will open their 2006 home season Wednesday, January 25 when they host No. 33 VCU. The match will be the inaugural match in the new Virginia Indoor Tennis Stadium at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. Match time is 6:30 p.m. and admission is free.
No. 1 Virginia 5, No. 54 Minnesota 2
(1) #35 Devvarman/Huey (UVa) def. Geatz/Osorio (Minn) 8-5
(2) Debreyne/Schwark (Minn) def. Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) 8-7 (5)
(3) Cohen/Riley (UVa) def. Kantar/Wilkins (Minn) 8-4
(1) #10 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) def. Nic Edlefsen (Minn) 6-4, 6-2
(2) #53 Rylan Rizza (UVa) def. Andres Osorio (Minn) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5)
(3) D.J. Geatz (Minn) def. Doug Stewart (UVa) 6-1, 6-4
(4) #6 Treat Huey (UVa) def. Adrien Debreyne (Minn) 7-5, 6-3
(5) #71 Raoul Schwark (Minn) def. Jarrett Chirico (UVa) 6-2, 6-0
(6) Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. Brian Lipinski (Minn) 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5,6,3,1,4*,2