Virginia Men's Tennis Remains Undefeated in ACC With Win at Georgia Tech
March 31, 2006
ATLANTA, Ga. – The No. 11 ranked Virginia men’s tennis team won its eighth consecutive match and remained undefeated in ACC play as it downed No. 32 Georgia Tech 5-2 Friday afternoon at the Bill Moore Tennis Center. The Cavaliers improve to 15-5 on the season, 5-0 in the ACC, with the win while the Yellow Jackets fall to 6-8, 0-6 in the ACC.
The Cavaliers opened the match by taking the doubles point for a 1-0 lead. The team of Nick Meythaler (Owensboro, Ky.) and Stephen Rozek (Chardon, Ohio) scored an 8-5 win over George Gvelesiani and Jordan Delass at No. 3 doubles. The Cavalier duo of Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) and Doug Stewart (Malibu, Calif.) then clinched the point for Virginia with their 8-6 win over Scott Blackmon and Zachary Rath at the No. 2 position.
In singles, the Cavaliers opened strong, taking five of the six first sets. However, they could only win one of those matches in straight sets, as Meythaler topped Blackmon 6-3, 6-3 at No. 6 singles. Virginia increased its lead to 3-0 as Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) downed Marko Rajevac 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 at No. 1 singles. The Yellow Jackets closed that lead to 3-2 as Rath defeated Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) at No. 3 singles and David North defeated Marko Miklo (Bratislava, Slovakia) at No. 4 singles.
The win extends the Cavaliers’ conference winning streak to 16 consecutive ACC regular season matches and 22 ACC matches overall. The win was also Virginia’s ninth consecutive ACC road win.
“I would really like to thank all of the Virginia fans that came to the match today,” said Virginia head coach Brian Boland. “It is always nice when you can get such good fan support when you are on the road.”
The Cavaliers continue their road trip Sunday as they visit No. 14 Clemson. Match time at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center is 1:00 p.m.
No. 11 Virginia 5, No. 32 Georgia Tech 2
1) Rajevac/North (GT) def. #18 Devvarman/Huey (UVa) 9-8 (5)
2) Cohen/Stewart def. Blackmon/Rath (GT) 8-6
3. Meythaler/Rozek (UVa) def. Gvelesiani/Delass (GT) 8-5
1. #9 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) def. Marko Rajevac (GT) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
2. #77 Doug Stewart (UVa) def. Jordan Delass (GT) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
3. Zachary Rath (GT) def. #45 Treat Huey (UVa) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. David North (GT) def. Marko Miklo (UVa) 7-5, 6-4
5. Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. George Gvelesiani (GT) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
6. Nick Meythaler (UVa) def. Scott Blackmon (GT) 6-3, 6-3