Men's Tennis Advances at National Team Indoors
Feb. 16, 2007
CHICAGO – The No. 3 Virginia men’s tennis team advanced to the quarterfinals of the National Team Indoor Championships this morning with a victory over No. 18 Texas, 4-0, at the Midtown Tennis Club in Chicago, Ill.
Virginia opened the match strong by winning the doubles point. The team of Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) and Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) defeated Dimitar Kutrovsky and Josh Zavala, 8-4, at the No. 1 position. At the No. 2 position, Jonah Kane-West and Miguel Reyes Varela bested Houston Barrick (Brentwood, Tenn.) and Dominic Inglot (London, England), 8-4, to knot the doubles victories at one a piece. At No. 3 doubles, the team of Ted Angelinos (Athens, Greece) and Lee Singer (Laguna Niguel, Calif.) came up huge again for the Cavaliers as they clinched the doubles point for Virginia with a 8-5 victory over Luis Diaz Barriaga and Bernhard Deussner.
Virginia followed up their doubles win by winning the next three completed singles matches. At No. 2 singles, No. 10 Huey defeated No. 96 Mihailovic, 6-3, 7-5. At the No. 4 position, Barrick downed Diaz Barriaga 6-1, 7-6 to make the overall team score 3-0. In the final completed singles match, No. 8 Devvarman cruised to a 7-6, 6-0 win over Reyes Varela to finalize victory for the Cavaliers. The final three matches were abandoned.
The Cavaliers next face No. 5 seed the University of Mississippi tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. CT. Ole Miss defeated Boise State, 4-0, to advance. Virginia returns home to face Pepperdine on Feb. 23 and Boise State on Feb. 24.
No. 3 Virginia 4, No. 18 Texas 0
1. No. 7 Devvarman/Huey (UVa) def. Kutrovsky/Zavala (Texas), 8-4
2. Kane-West/Reyes Varela (Texas) def. Inglot/Barrick (UVa), 8-4
3. Angelinos/Singer (UVa) def. Diaz Barriaga/Deussner (Texas), 8-5
1. No. 8 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) def. Miguel Reyes Varela (Texas), 7-6. 6-0
2. No. 10 Treat Huey (UVa) def. No. 96 Milan Mihailovic (Texas), 6-3, 7-5
3. Dominic Inglot (UVa) led Dimitar Kutrovsky (Texas), 6-2, 6-7, 2-0 DNF
4. Houston Barrick (UVa) def. Luis Diaz Barriaga (Texas), 6-1, 7-6
5. Josh Zavala (Texas) led Lee Singer (UVa), 7-6, 2-3 DNF
6. No. 100 Rook Schellenberg (Texas) led Marko Miklo (UVa), 6-3, 3-5 DNF