Men's Tennis Advances to National Team Indoor Semifinals
Feb. 17, 2007
CHICAGO – The No. 3 Virginia men’s tennis team advanced to the semifinals of the National Team Indoor Championships this morning with a hard-fought victory over No. 4 Mississippi, 4-3, at the Midtown Tennis Club in Chicago, Ill.
Virginia once again got on the scoreboard first by taking the doubles point. At the No. 3 position, the team of Lee Singer (Laguna Niguel, Calif.) and Ted Angelinos (Athens, Greece) fell to Jonas Berg and Karl Norberg, 8-6, in the first completed doubles match. Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) and Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) defeated Erling Tveit and Eric Claesson, 8-6, at the No. 1 position to even the doubles matches. In the deciding doubles match the team of Houston Barrick (Brentwood, Tenn.) and Dominic Inglot (London, England) downed Jakob Klaeson and Matthias Wellerman, 9-8(5), to clinch the doubles point for the Cavaliers.
The singles matches provided plenty of drama as five of the six matches went to three sets. At the No. 4 position, Robbye Poole defeated Barrick, 7-6(5), 6-3 in the only straight set singles victory. No. 10 Huey made the team score 2-1 in favor of Virginia as he defeated Claesson, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 at the No. 2 position. The Rebels re-tied the score as Wellerman downed Inglot, 4-6, 7-6(2), 6-4 at the No. 3 slot. No. 8 Devvarman once again gave Virginia the lead as he defeated Tveit, 7-6(2), 0-6, 6-4. Norberg made it three-all as he defeated Angelinos at the No. 5 position, 6-1, 3-6, 6-4. Singer found himself in a familiar situation as the team’s hopes rested on his match. And much like the team’s victory against VCU, Singer proved his mettle. He rallied and defeated Klaeson, 3-6, 7-6(5), 7-6(5), to clinch the overall victory for the Hoos and send the Cavaliers to the NTI semifinals.
The Cavaliers next face the winner of No. 1 seed Georgia and No. 9 seed Pepperdine, tomorrow at noon CT. Virginia returns home to face Pepperdine on Feb. 23 and Boise State on Feb. 24.
No. 3 Virginia 4, No. 4 Mississippi 3
1. No. 7 Somdev Devvarman/Treat Huey (UVA) def. Erling Tveit/Eric Claesson (OMISS) 8-6
2. Dominic Inglot/Houston Barrick (UVA) def. Jakob Klaeson/Matthias Wellerman (OMISS) 9-8(5)
3. Jonas Berg/Karl Norberg (OMISS) def. Ted Angelinos/Lee Singer (UVA) 8-6
Order of finish: 3,1,2
1. No. 8 Somdev Devvarman (UVA) def. No. 40 Erling Tveit (OMISS) 7-6(2), 0-6, 6-4
2. No. 10 Treat Huey (UVA) def. Eric Claesson (OMISS) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
3. Matthias Wellerman (OMISS) def. Dominic Inglot (UVA) 4-6, 7-6(2), 6-4
4. No. 79 Robbye Poole (OMISS) def. Houston Barrick (UVA) 7-6(5), 6-3
5. Karl Norberg (OMISS) def. Ted Angelinos (UVA) 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
6. Lee Singer (UVA) def. No. 75 Jakob Klaeson (OMISS) 3-6, 7-6(5), 7-6(5)
Order of finish: 4,2,3,1,5,6