Diamond Details: Melanie Mitchell
Members of the Virginia softball team – both student-athletes and coaches – will be revealing 20 random facts about themselves to VirginiaSports.com each weekday leading up to the team’s season-opener on Saturday, Feb. 13th at the Elon Tournament in Elon, N.C. Up next is freshman pitcher Melanie Mitchell, a native of White Plains, N.Y.
1. My favorite place in the world I have been to is Japan. I want to go back again one day.
2. I play every sport left-handed except for softball. I also write and eat left-handed.
3. I am an only child.
4. I am a huge Phantom of the Opera fan. I really want to see it on Broadway.
5. I took Spanish every year fromfourth grade up through my senior year of high school.
6. I am a Boston Red Sox fan and my best friend is a New York Yankees fan.
7. When I was 11 years old, I got a brand new bike for Christmas. The first time I rode it, I ended up riding it into a ditch filled with water.
8. I can go somewhere once and remember exactly how to get back there.
9. Growing up, I wanted to be either a cheerleader or a gymnast. I gave up on those dreams once I figured out that I would be close to six feet tall.
10. I used to have a black and white Siberian husky named Titan.
11. When I pitch, I always wear a polka dot bow in my hair.
12. I’m allergic to freckles. (Not really, but I love telling inside jokes).
13. I love animal print anything – clothes, shoes, purses, scarves, sunglasses, etc.
14. My favorite movie is Major League.
15. I have donated 10 inches of my hair to “Locks for Love” twice.
16. When I was born, my grandfather gave me a basketball in hopes that I would one day grow up to playbasketball. It didn’t exactly turn out that way, as I am terrible at basketball.
17. I am addicted to Trail Mix.
18. I am also addicted to the TV show Glee. I also watch SportsCenter and Baseball Tonight way more than any one person should.
19. I broke my wrist skateboarding when I was 7. I haven’t been on a skateboard since.
20. I am a grammar nerd. I even use complete sentences and punctuation when I text. But I’m an engineering major. Go figure.