Women's Tennis Wins 6-1 at No. 28 Marshall
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – The No. 27 Virginia women’s tennis team recorded its sixth ranked win of the season, topping No. 28 Marshall 6-1 Monday afternoon at the Huntington Tennis Center. The Cavaliers improve to 9-3 overall, while the Thundering Herd falls to 11-2.
Virginia took a 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. At No. 1, Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) and Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) upset 30th-ranked Michaela Kissell and Dominika Zarrazna 8-4. Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) clinched the opening point for UVa with an 8-4 win at No. 2 over Kara Kucin and Isabell Raich.
The Cavaliers doubled their lead early in singles as Fraser cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 win over Zaprazna at No. 2. Stevens made the score 3-0 with her 7-5, 6-1 win at No. 5 over Deanna Bailey. Vierra clinched the win at No. 3 with her 6-2, 7-5 win over Raich. First-years Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) and Maria Fuccillo (Rockville, Md.) also added singles wins for the Cavaliers.
“I am proud of the girls and their play today,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “This match was a tough match despite the final score. I was pleased to see that in most of the close matches and sets we found a way to win. We look forward to getting back into ACC play in couple weeks after spring break.”
Virginia returns to action on March 21 when it visits in-state rival Virginia Tech.
No. 27 Virginia 6, No. 28 Marshall 1
1. Fraser/Stevens (UVa) def. #30 Kissell/Zaprazna (Mar) 8-4
2. #35 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. Kucin/Raich (Mar) 8-4
3. Bailey/Lock (Mar) def. Tomljanovic/Fuccillo (UVa) 8-5
1. #33 Michaela Kissell (Mar) def. #43 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) 7-6, 6-1
2. Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Dominika Zaprazna (Mar) 6-1, 6-1
3. Erin Vierra (UVa) def. Isabell Raich (Mar) 6-2, 7-5
4. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Catherine Kellner (Mar) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
5. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) def. Deanna Bailey (Mar) 7-5, 6-1
6. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) def. Kristina Koprcina (Mar) 6-0, 6-4
Order of Finish: