Cavaliers Kick Off 2010 Season Saturday vs. Richmond
Date: Sept. 4, 2010
Venue: David A. Harrison Field at Scott Stadium
Playing Surface: Grass
Series vs. UR: UVa leads, 25-2-2
In Charlottesville: UVa leads 23-1-1
Last Meeting: 2008 (UVa 16-0)
Radio: Virginia Sports Network (affiliates)
Satellite Radio: Sirius 215, XM 193
Live Stats: VirginiaSports.com
Live Stats: Click here for the link to the LiveStats page. Note: Link available 30 minutes before kickoff. Allow 1-2 minutes for it to load at the start.
Rosters: Virginia Richmond
Game Notes: Virginia Richmond
Virginia Opens 121st Season of Football
• The University of Virginia commences its 121st season of football Saturday against Richmond.
• UVa will be playing its 80th season in Scott Stadium, which opened Oct. 15, 1931, against VMI.
• UVa is 76-35-9 (.668) all-time in season openers.
• The Cavaliers are 70-19-7 (.763) in home season openers and have won 13 of their last 16 openers in Scott Stadium.
• UVa has lost four-straight season openers since beginning the 2005 season with a victory over Western Michigan.
• No current UVa player has won a season-opening game.
• Mike London won both of his season openers as head coach at Richmond (2008 at Elon, 2009 at Duke).
The London Era Officially Begins
• Mike London makes his Virginia coaching debut Saturday. He is the 39th head coach in program history.
• Virginia coaches are 27-9-2 in their first games of the coaching careers at UVa.
• Mike London is aiming to become the first UVa coach to win his debut UVa game since the Bill Elias-led Cavaliers defeated William and Mary 21-6 in 1961.
• The last six first-year Virginia coaches all have lost their first games at the University.
• Since 1931, the first season at Scott Stadium, a total of six UVa coaches have won their debut as head coach of the Cavaliers – all six defeated an in-state opponent.
• The full list: Fred Dawson (1931 vs. Roanoke), Gus Tebell (1934 vs. Hampden-Sydney), Frank Murray (1936 vs. Hampden-Sydney), Art Guepe (1946 vs. Hampden-Sydney), Ben Martin (1956 vs. VMI), Elias (1961 vs. W&M).
London Debuts vs. Alma Mater
• Mike London will make his Virginia coaching debut vs. his alma mater, but this is not a first at UVa.
• Former UVa head coach George Welsh made his debut in 1982 against his alma mater, Navy. In that game, Gary Tranquill also made his coaching debut for the Naval Academy.
• London and Welsh’s debuts also mark the only times since 1931 that a first-year UVa coach will open a season against another head coach who also is making his debut at his school.
Virginia vs. Richmond, CAA
• Virginia owns a 25-2-2 edge in the all-time series with Richmond, which dates to 1893. UVa has won the last seven meetings, including a 16-0 win in 2008 in Mike London’s second game as the Spiders’ head coach.
• Richmond’s last win in the series came in 1946, a 19-7 victory in Richmond.
• The Cavaliers own a 53-9-3 record against current members of the CAA and are 19-4 all-time vs. FCS opponents.
For full notes, click on the link at the top of the page.