SEATTLE – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team began its quest for a fourth consecutive ITA National Team Indoor Championship with a 4-1 victory over No. 29 Washington Friday night at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. The Cavaliers (11-0) meet eighth-seeded Illinois in the quarterfinals at 9:00 p.m. PT on Saturday.
In doubles, the Cavaliers debuted three new pairings to take the opening point from the host Huskies (6-3). Michael Shabaz (Fairfax, Va.) and Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) topped No. 24 Kyle McMorrow and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan 8-3 at the top spot. Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) teamed at No. 3 to defeat Marton Bots and Daniel Schmidt 8-3 to clinch the doubles point. Sanam Singh (Chandigarh, India) and Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) were leading at No. 2 when the match was halted.
In singles, the Cavaliers took the early edge by winning all six first sets. The Virginia lead was extended to 2-0 as Domijan defeated McMorrow 6-3, 7-5 at the No. 2 position. Courtney made the score 3-0 with his 7-5, 6-3 win over Tobi Obenaus. However, the Huskies forced third sets in the other four matches. Washington cut the lead to 3-1 with Martin Kildahl’s 1-6, 6-3, 6-3 win over Singh at No. 3. Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) closed out the Cavalier win with his 6-4, 2-6, 6-1 victory at No. 6.
The Virginia-Illinois match will be the final quarterfinal of the day on Saturday and is slated to start at 9:00 p.m. PT. The teams have already met once before this season, a 7-0 Cavalier victory in Charlottesville on Jan. 21.
#1 Virginia 4, #29 Washington 1
1. Shabaz/Domijan (UVa) def. #24 McMorrow/Nedunchezhiyan (UW) 8-3
2. Singh/Jenkins (UVa) led #67 Kildahl/Obenaus (UW) 5-4 DNF
3. Courtney/Rooda (UVa) def. Bots/Schmidt (UW) 8-3
1. #15 Michael Shabaz (UVa) vs. #66 Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) 6-2, 5-7, 2-3 DNF
2. #2 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #42 Kyle McMorrow (UW) 6-3, 7-5
3. #125 Martin Kildahl (UW) def. #13 Sanam Singh (UVa) 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. #25 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) vs. Daniel Schmidt (UW) 6-1, 5-7, 4-3 DNF
5. #23 Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Tobi Obenaus (UW) 7-5, 6-3
6. #78 Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. Marton Bots (UW) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
Order of Finish