Cavaliers Blank DePaul 4-0 in Blue Gray Opener
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – The No. 9 Virginia women’s tennis team opened play at the 2011 Blue Gray Tennis Classic with a 4-0 quarterfinal victory over No. 48 DePaul Friday afternoon at Lagoon Park in Montgomery. The Cavaliers (9-1) will meet No. 43 Ohio State in the semifinals on Saturday at 11 a.m. CT (noon ET).
Virginia took the early 1-0 lead in the match by winning the doubles point. Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) and Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) cruised to an 8-1 win over Katarina Milinkovic and Gia McKnight at No. 1 and the team of Maria Fuccillo (Rockville, Md.) and Rashmi Teltumbde (Mumbai, India) downed Cali Gustafson and Christiana Raymond 8-4 at No. 3.
In singles, the Cavaliers dominated from the start, winning all six first sets. Fuccillo made the score 2-0 with a 6-3, 6-0 win at No. 5 over Raymond. Tomljanovic added a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 4 over Selma Salkovic at No. 4 before Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) clinched the match with her 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 2 over McKnight.
The Blue Gray Tennis Classic has been held in Montgomery every year since 1949. This year marks the first time there has been a women’s tournament in conjunction with the men’s tournament. The semifinals of the tournament will be Saturday with the final on Sunday.
#9 Virginia 4, #48 DePaul 0
1. #10 Fraser/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. #55 Milinkovic/McKnight (DePaul) 8-1
2. #67 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) vs. Salkovic/Lawson (DePaul) 5-5 DNF
3. #51 Fuccillo/Teltumbde (UVa) def. Gustafson/Raymond (DePaul) 8-3 DNF
1. #41 Emily Fraser (UVa) led Katarina Milinkovic (DePaul) 6-2, 2-1 DNF
2. #67 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. Gia McKnight (DePaul) 6-2, 6-0
3. #54 Erin Vierra (UVa) led Kelsey Lawson (DePaul) 6-1, 1-0 DNF
4. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Selma Salkovic (DePaul) 6-2, 6-0
5. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) def. Christiana Raymond (DePaul) 6-3, 6-0
6. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) led Cali Gustafson (DePaul) 6-1, 5-3 DNF
Order of Finish: