Cavaliers Win 5-2 at Oklahoma
NORMAN, Okla. – The Virginia men’s tennis team remained unbeaten on the season as it defeated No. 32 Oklahoma 5-2 Friday night at the Headington Family Tennis Center. The Cavaliers improve to 17-0 this season, while the Sooners (8-3) had their six-match win streak snapped.
“I thought we competed hard in some tough conditions tonight,” said head coach Brian Boland. “I was overall pleased with the effort. Give Oklahoma a lot of credit because they played an excellent match. We need to keep getting better with each match and look forward to playing a great Texas team on Sunday.”
In doubles, Virginia took the early lead by winning two of the three contests. Michael Shabaz (Fairfax, Va.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) posted an 8-6 win at No. 1 over Ionut Beleleu and Tsvetan Mihov. The Cavaliers clinched the opening point at No. 3 where Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) teamed for the first time and won in a tiebreaker over Laurentiu Gavrila and Lawrence Formentera.
In singles, the Cavaliers doubled their lead as Shabaz completed a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 2 over Beleleu. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) moved up to the No. 1 spot and defeated Costin Paval 6-4, 6-2 to make the score 3-0. Sanam Singh (Chandigarh, India) clinched the victory with his 6-2, 6-1 win over Gavrila at No. 3. After the Sooners cut the advantage in half with wins at No. 5 and No. 6, Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) concluded the match with a three-set win over Peerakit Siributwong at No. 4 to make the final score 5-2.
The Cavaliers continue their road trip on Sunday as they visit No. 6 Texas. Match time in Austin is noon CT (1 p.m. ET).
#2 Virginia 5, #32 Oklahoma 2
1. #2 Shabaz/Courtney (UVa) def. Beleleu/Mihov (OU) 8-6
2. Paval/Siributwong (OU) def. Singh/Jenkins (UVa) 8-5
3. Uriguen/Rooda (UVa) def. Gavrila/Formentera (OU) 9-8
1. #2 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. #65 Costin Paval (OU) 6-4, 6-2
2. #8 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. #34 Ionut Beleleu (OU) 6-1, 6-3
3. #22 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. Laurentiu Gavrila (OU) 6-2, 6-1
4. #37 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. #113 Peerakit Siributwong (OU) 5-7, 7-6, 6-4
5. Tsvetan Mihov (OU) def. Justin Shane (UVa) 6-4, 7-6(4)
6. Lawrence Formentera (OU) def. #109 Julen Uriguen (UVa) 7-5, 2-6, 7-6
Order of Finish