Top-Ranked Cavaliers Defeat No. 29 Miami 7-0
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The Virginia men’s tennis team continued its 11-match road trip Friday afternoon with a 7-0 victory over No. 29 Miami at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Cavaliers improve to 19-0 overall (4-0 ACC), while handing the Hurricanes (9-5, 3-1) their first conference loss of the season. The victory extended Virginia’s ACC-record win streak to 67 consecutive victories over conference competition.
In doubles, the Cavalier swept all three matches to take the opening point. Sanam Singh (Chandigarh, India) and Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) defeated Carl Sundburg and Christian Blocker at No. 2 to give UVa the early edge. At No. 3, Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) won 8-3 over Eduardo Pavia and Pedro Ast to clinch the doubles point. Michael Shabaz (Fairfax, Va.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) completed the sweep with an 8-4 win at No. 1 over Keith Crowley and Waylon Chin.
In singles, Virginia won all six matches in straight sets. Domijan posted a 6-4, 6-0 win at No. 1 over Blocker and Shabaz topped Chin 6-1, 6-3 at No. 2 to make the score 3-0. Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) clinched the win for Virginia as he finished a 7-5 6-1 win at No. 6 over Gabriel Flores. Singh downed Crowley 6-4, 6-1 at No. 3, Courtney topped Pavia 6-3, 7-5 at No. 5 and Jenkins added a 6-4, 6-4 at No. 4 over Sundburg to complete the sweep.
The Cavaliers conclude their road trip on Sunday as they visit No. 46 Florida State. Match time in Tallahassee is noon.
#1 Virginia 7, #29 Miami 0
1. #3 Shabaz/Courtney (UVa) def. Crowley/Chin (UM) 8-4
2. Singh/Jenkins (UVa) def. Sundberg/Blocker (UM) 8-2
3. Domijan/Rooda (UVa) def. Pavia/Ast (UM) 8-3
1. #2 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Christian Blocker (UM) 6-4, 6-0
2. #8 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. Waylon Chin (UM) 6-1, 6-3
3. #22 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. Keith Crowley (UM) 6-4, 6-1
4. #37 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Carl Sundberg (UM) 6-4, 6-4
5. #32 Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Eduardo Pavia (UM) 6-3, 7-5
6. #109 Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. Gabriel Flores (UM) 7-5, 6-1
Order of Finish