Women's Tennis Tops Florida State 5-2
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 17 Virginia women’s tennis team snapped a two-match losing streak with a 5-2 win over No. 35 Florida State Sunday at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers improve to 14-4 overall and 3-2 in the ACC, while the Seminoles fall to 7-6 overall, 2-3 in the ACC.
Virginia altered its doubles lineup and the switch paid off with a sweep of all three matches. Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) moved up to No. 1 and topped Noemie Scharle and Federica Suess 8-2. Caryssa Peretz (Cherry Hill, N.J.) teamed with Maria Fuccillo (Rockville, Md.) at No. 3 to defeat Katie Rybakova and Amy Sargeant 8-2. Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) and Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) completed the sweep with an 8-4 win at No, 2 over Ruth Seaborne and Francesca Segarelli.
The Cavaliers continued their momentum into singles, where they quickly won four matches in straight sets to build a 5-0 lead. Fuccillo was up 6-2, 3-0 at No. 6 when Sargeant had to retire due to injury, making the score 2-0. Peretz defeated Suess 6-1, 6-3 at No. 5 and Hardenbergh added a 6-0, 6-2 win over Segarelli at No. 1 to clinch the victory. Fraser recorded a 6-3, 6-4 win over Scharle at No. 2 before the Seminoles won the final two matches on the courts.
“We competed well today, in fact we competed well the entire weekend,” said assistant coach Troy Porco. “Florida State is a very good team and we knew we had to play at a high level to get a win today. Coming off a tough loss last weekend, we had a good week of practice and it showed with you play this weekend.”
The Cavaliers will travel to a pair of top-five teams next weekend. Virginia visits No. 3 North Carolina on Saturday and No. 4 Duke on Sunday. Both matches are at noon.
#17 Virginia 5, #35 Florida State 2
1. #72 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. Scharle/Suess (FSU) 8-2
2. #20 Fraser/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Seaborne/Segarelli (FSU) 8-4
3. Peretz/Fuccillo (UVa) def. Rybakova/Sargeant (FSU) 8-2
1. #71 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. Francesca Segarelli (FSU) 6-0, 6-2
2. #55 Emily Fraser (UVa) def. #66 Noemie Scharle (FSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. #46 Katie Rybakova (FSU) def. #96 Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) 4-6, 7-6(4), 10-5
4. Ruth Seaborne (FSU) def. #80 Erin Vierra (UVa) 6-3, 7-6(8)
5. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) def. Federica Suess (FSU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) def. Amy Sargeant (FSU) 6-2, 3-0 ret.
Order of Finish: