Women's Tennis Downs NC State 4-1
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 18 Virginia women’s tennis team snapped a two-match losing streak with a 4-1 win over No. 30 NC State Friday at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers improve to 15-6 overall and 4-4 in the ACC, while the Wolfpack falls to 11-7 overall and 2-6 in the ACC.
Virginia opened the match strong by winning the doubles point. Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) and Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) defeated Lenka Hojckova and Tatiana Illova 8-4 at the No. 2 spot. The opening point was clinched at No. 1 where Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) and Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) rallied from down a break to win 9-7 over Sanaa Bhambri and Sandhya Nagaraj.
The Cavaliers extended their lead early in singles as Maria Fuccillo (Rockville, Md.) cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win tat No. 6 over Chloe Smith to double the UVa lead. NC State cut the advantage to 2-1 with Illova’s win at No. 3 over Tomljanovic, but Vierra answered with a win over Joelle Kissell at No. 4 to make the score 3-1. Hardenbergh clinched the victory with her win at No. 1, downing Bhambri 6-1, 6-4. The final two matches were abandoned.
“I am very proud of the team,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “It was good to get the win, but more importantly we played well. We made some adjustments in areas that were beating us. When you are a good team and you take care of those things, most of the time the results will come. This was an important match for us, just as tomorrow is an important match too.”
The Cavaliers will play their final regular season home match on Saturday as they host No. 52 Wake Forest. The match is slated for noon at the Snyder Tennis Center. Saturday’s match will feature free pizza and Pepsi products for all fans, starting at noon while supplies last. The match will also feature a bounce house and face painting for kids and there will be a post-match kids clinic with the team.
#18 Virginia 4, #30 NC State 1
1. #56 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. #26 Nagaraj/Bhambri (NCSU) 9-7
2. #28 Fraser/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Hojckova/Illova (NCSU) 8-4
3. Kissell/Miller (NCSU) def. Fuccillo/Peretz (UVa) 9-8(5)
1. #54 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. #29 Sanaa Bhambri (NCSU) 6-1, 6-4
2. #53 Emily Fraser (UVa) led #83 Sandhya Nagaraj (NCSU) 6-4, 2-2 DNF
3. Tatiana Illova (NCSU) def. #84 Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) 6-4, 6-1
4. #99 Erin Vierra (UVa) def. Joelle Kissell (NCSU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) led Lenka Hojckova (NCSU) 7-5, 2-2 DNF
6. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) def. Chloe Smith (NCSU) 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: