DURHAM, N.C. – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team began its quest for a fifth consecutive ACC Tournament title with a 4-0 win over No. 48 Maryland on Friday at the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center on the Duke campus. The match was moved indoors due to rain in Cary, N.C., where the tournament is being held at the Cary Tennis Park. The Cavaliers (27-0) extended their ACC-record win streak to 75 consecutive victories over conference competition, while the Terrapins fell to 12-12.
The Cavaliers opened the match by taking a close doubles point. Virginia took the early advantage as Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) teamed with Sanam Singh (Chandigarh, India) for the first time and the duo topped Tommy Laine and Mathias Sarrazin 8-3 at No. 3. The Terrapins drew even when John Collins and Maros Horny defeated Michael Shabaz (Fairfax, Va.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) 8-5 at the top spot. With the opening point on the line, the match at No. 2 went to a tiebreaker, where Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) and Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) topped Andy Magee and Jesse Kiuru 10-8 in the breaker for the 9-8 victory.
In singles, Virginia doubled its lead when Shabaz won at No. 1 after Horny retired following the first set. Singh extended the lead to 3-0 with his 6-1, 6-3 win over Sergio Wyss at the No. 3 position. Jenkins clinched the Cavalier victory as he completed a 6-3, 6-3 win over Laine at No. 4 singles. The final three matches were abandoned with Virginia leading.
“I was very impressed with Maryland today,” said head coach Brian Boland. “Their depth matches anyone in the ACC and they fought hard and deserve a lot of credit. I am pleased with how we competed today and I am confident we will continue to improve with each match.”
The Cavaliers will meet No. 16 Georgia Tech in the semifinals on Saturday. That match is slated for 10 a.m. at the Cary Tennis Park.
#1 Virginia 4, #48 Maryland 0
1. Collins/Horny (Md) def. #2 Courtney/Shabaz (UVa) 8-5
2. Jenkins/Uriguen (UVa) def. Magee/Kiuru (Md) 9-8(8)
3. Domijan/Singh (UVa) def. Laine/Sarrazin (Md) 8-3
1. #5 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. #106 Maros Horny (Md) 6-1, 0-0 ret.
2. #2 Alex Domijan (UVa) led John Collins (Md) 6-2, 5-2 DNF
3. #36 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. Sergio Wyss (Md) 6-1, 6-3
4. #53 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Tommy Laine (Md) 6-3, 6-3
5. #39 Drew Courtney (UVa) led Jesse Kiuru (Md) 6-3, 4-5 DNF
6. Julen Uriguen (UVa) led Andy Magee (Md) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 DNF
Order of Finish