Southern Miss Postgame Notes
Southern Miss at Virginia
Sept. 24, 2011
Southern Miss Postgame Notes
• Today’s game was the first time Southern Miss played in Scott Stadium.
• It was also the first time the Golden Eagles played in the state of Virginia since a 2006 game at Virginia Tech.
• Today’s team captains for Southern Miss were: Austin Davis, Kendrick Hardy, Korey Williams, Jamie Collins and Andrew Burns
• Announced attendance was 43,220. It was the largest crowd Southern Miss has played in front of in 2011.
• Southern Miss went into the halftime with a 21-13 lead. They have gone into the half with the lead in every game this season. They are now 21-4 when leading at the half under Fedora.
• Southern Miss improved their record to 2-0 all-time over Virginia.
• Austin Davis connected with Kelvin Bolden for a 32-yard touchdown in the first quarter. It was the fifth-longest play of the season and first touchdown reception of the season for Bolden.
• The school-record holder finished the day with 5X career touchdown passes.
• Ryan Balentine’s 20-yard touchdown scamper in the second quarter was his first touchdown of the year.
• Markese Triplett’s second quarter reception for 15 yards was his first catch of the season. He converted a third-and-four situation was Southern Miss.
• Austin Davis finished the day with 313 passing yards. It was the 25th time in his career to go over 200 and
• Davis connected with Tracey Lampley on a 3rd-and-23 situation for a 41 yard screen down the left side with less than 2:45 to go to advance the Eagles to the UVA 18. It was the longest reception of the season for Lampley.
• Jamie Collins recorded his seventh and eighth tackle for loss this season in the first quarter.
• UVA’s two-point conversion attempt in the first quarter was the first two-point attempt against the Eagles this season.
• Jacorius Cotton’s interception in the second quarter was the first in his career.
• Korey Williams’ second quarter interception was his third of the season and third consecutive game with a pick.
• The Golden Eagles have now forced two or more turnovers in 29 games under Larry Fedora. They are now 20-9 in those games.
• Marquese Wheaton’s third quarter interception was the third of his career and first of 2011. It was also the second consecutive three-pick game for the Golden Eagles and third consecutive two-pick game.
• The Southern Miss defense allowed over 100 yards for just the second time this season. Marshall rushed for 103 two weeks ago. Southern Miss is now 8-17 when allowing a team to rush for more than 100 yards under Fedora.
Special Teams Notes
• Kicker Danny Hrapmann’s fake punt to open the second quarter went for 31 yards and was his second fake punt and rush of his career. The previous attempt went for 19 yards against East Carolina in 2010.
• Peter Boehme’s second quarter 47 yard punt was downed inside the 1 yard line, the 48th time in his career to put a ball down inside the 20 and third this season.
• Hrapmann connected on a 43 yard field goal in the third quarter, a 35 yarder and a 27 yarder in the fourth. He surpassed Rex Banks for third all-time with 38 for his career and it is the 13th time in his career he has kicked two or more field goals in a game.
• With the 35 yard field goal, he moved into third place all-time in kick scoring with 193 points. He finished the night with 196.
• Hrapmann also moves into fourth place in extra points attempted with 86.