Cavalier Men's Tennis Defeats NC State 6-1
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The fourth-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team remained unbeaten in ACC play as it downed No. 33 NC State 6-1 on Sunday at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Cavaliers (17-1, 7-0 ACC) won their 10th straight match, while the Wolfpack fell to 15-7 overall, 1-5 in the conference.
The Cavaliers took the doubles point to open the match. Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) teamed for the first time with Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) at No. 3 and the duo downed Dominic Hodgson and Austin Powell 8-3. Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) clinched the opening point for Virginia with their 8-4 win at the top spot over Julian Sullivan and Sean Weber.
In singles, the Cavaliers quickly doubled their lead as Philippe Oudshoorn (Adeldoorn, The Netherlands) cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 6 over Ivan Sanchez. Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) followed with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Robbie Mudge at No. 3 to extend the lead to 3-0. Shane’s 6-2, 6-3 victory over Powell at the No. 5 position clinched the win for Virginia.
The Wolfpack’s lone point of the afternoon came at No. 4 where Sullivan defeated Courtney 6-3, 7-5. Jenkins downed Jaime Pulgar 6-3, 6-4 at No. 1 and Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) topped Hodgson 6-3, 7-6(4) at No. 2 to close out the 6-1 win for the Cavaliers.
The win was Virginia’s 85th consecutive victory against ACC competition, extending its conference record.
“I thought it was a good weekend for our team,” said head coach Brian Boland. “We were able to play eight guys both today and Friday (against Wake Forest), as it is important to keep getting everyone matches. I thought we took another step forward in doubles this week, which was good to see. In singles, each guy still has some things to keep working on, but we are progressing there too.”
The Cavaliers will take to the road for the final time during the 2012 regular season next week. Virginia plays at Clemson on Friday and Georgia Tech on Saturday.
#4 VIRGINIA 6, #33 NC STATE 1
1. #20 Courtney/Jenkins (UVa) def. Sullivan/Weber (NCSU) 8-4
2. Pulgar/Mudge (NCSU) def. Domijan/Uriguen (UVa) 8-6
3. Rooda/Shane (UVa) def. Hodgson/Powell (NCSU) 8-3
1. #3 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. #35 Jaime Pulgar (NCSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. #34 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Dominic Hodgson (NCSU) 6-3, 7-6(4)
3. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Robbie Mudge (NCSU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Julian Sullivan (NCSU) def. #124 Drew Courtney (UVa) 6-3, 7-5
5. #75 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Austin Powell (NCSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) def. Ivan Sanchez (NCSU) 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: