Jan. 28, 2018
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 15 Virginia men’s tennis team (2-2) fell 4-1 to Ole Miss (5-1) in an ITA Kick-Off Weekend consolation match on Sunday (January 28) at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
Ole Miss won the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead in the match. Junior Aswin Lizen (Douglas, Isle of Man) tied things up with a straight-set victory at two singles, but Ole Miss countered with straight-set victories on one, five and six.
“I am really proud of this group,” said Virginia head coach Andres Pedroso. “I thought this weekend, everyone fought really hard and competed like a team. It shows that the culture is strong and the relationships are strong in this program. As long as that is going in a positive direction, I think this team is on the right track. I am proud of these guys.”
In doubles, Ole Miss picked up a 6-4 win at No. 2 doubles. On court three, Grey Hamilton and Filip Kraljevic were serving with a 6-5 lead, but freshmen Jefferson Dockter (Atlanta, Ga.) and Gianni Ross (Chicago, Ill.) pushed the game to deuce. The Rebels’ tandem won the point to win the match 7-5 and give Ole Miss the doubles point.
In singles, Lizen, playing on court two, cruised to a 6-4, 6-1 victory over No. 14 Tim Sandkaulen. Lizen, who came into the spring ranked No. 40 in singles, improved his record to 16-1 in singles overall and 4-0 in dual matches with the victory. Redshirt freshman Ammar Alhaqbani (Alexandria, Va.) was edged 6-4 in his first set on court four, but won the second 6-1 to force a third set, which he was leading 5-2 when play was abandoned. Ross battled No. 32 Gustav Hansson on court one, but was edged 6-4, 6-4 in the clinching match.
The Cavaliers host two matches next weekend, taking on Eastern Kentucky (2-3) on Saturday, Feb. 3 at 2 p.m. and Kentucky (2-2) on Sunday, Feb. 4 at 12 p.m. at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
Admission is free for all Virginia home tennis matches. Please note that due to construction, parking is now limited on the squash and tennis side of the Boar’s Head Sports Club. Fans are encouraged to arrive early and park in the front of the sports club. Live scoring and streaming video will be available through a link on VirginiaSports.com.
Ole Miss 4, #15 Virginia 1
1. #32 Gustav Hansson (OM) def. Gianni Ross (VA) 6-4, 6-4
2. #40 Aswin Lizen (VA) def. #14 Tim Sandkaulen (OM) 6-4, 6-1
3. Matthew Lord (VA) vs. #69 Zvonimir Babic (OM) 6-4, 4-6, 3-2, unfinished
4. Ammar Alhaqbani (VA) vs. Fabian Fallert (OM) 4-6, 6-1, 5-2, unfinished
5. Grey Hamilton (OM) def. Kyrylo Tsygura (VA) 6-4, 6-4
6. Cotter Wilson (OM) def. Jefferson Dockter (VA) 6-4, 6-4
1. Ammar Alhaqbani/Kyrylo Tsygura (VA) vs. Fabian Fallert/Tim Sandkaulen (OM) 6-5, unfinished
2. Gustav Hansson/Zvonimir Babic (OM) def. Aswin Lizen/Matthew Lord (VA) 6-4
3. Grey Hamilton/Filip Kraljevic (OM) def. Jefferson Dockter/Gianni Ross (VA) 7-5
Order of finish: Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,5,6,1)