March 2, 2018
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Virginia men’s tennis team (6-4, 0-1 ACC) fell 6-1 to No. 35 Louisville (9-3, 1-0 ACC) on Friday (March 2) at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center in Louisville, Ky.
Louisville won the doubles point, picking up wins on courts one and three and picked up singles victories on courts two through six. Sophomore Carl Soderlund (Stokholm, Sweden) earned the Cavaliers lone point with a three-set victory at No. 1 singles.
The Cardinals jumped out ahead in singles, winning the first set on five of six courts, including freshman Gianni Ross (Chicago, Ill.) being edged in a tiebreaker, 7-4, on court three. Freshman Kyrylo Tsygura (North Potomac, Md.) dropped his first set, but rebounded with a 6-2 victory in the second set to force a third set. Tsygura fell 6-0 in his third set and Ross was edged 7-5 in the second set.
SÃƒÆ’Ã†’Ãƒâ€ ‘ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â ‘Â¶derlund, who has been sidelined with an injury through much of the spring season, was up a break in the first set against Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff, but the Cardinal rallied to take the first set 7-5. SÃƒÆ’Ã†’Ãƒâ€ ‘ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â ‘Â¶derlund took control of the match and won the final two sets 6-2, 6-4. It was the first victory for SÃƒÆ’Ã†’Ãƒâ€ ‘ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â ‘Â¶derlund since January 27.
The match was the conference opener for both teams.
The Cavaliers close out the road trip by taking on No. 9 Illinois (6-4, 0-0 Big Ten) on Sunday, March 4 at 1 p.m. E.T. in Urbana, Ill. Live scoring for Sunday’s match will be available through the Illini’s website.
#35 Louisville Men’s Tennis 6, Virginia 1
1. Carl Soderlund (VA) def. C. Morin-Kougoucheff (LOU-MT) 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
2. Parker Wynn (LOU-MT) def. #18 Aswin Lizen (VA) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Nicolas Rouanet (LOU-MT) def. Gianni Ross (VA) 7-6 (7-4), 7-5
4. Federico Gomez (LOU-MT) def. Matthew Lord (VA) 6-3, 6-4
5. Brandon Lancaster (LOU-MT) def. Ammar Alhaqbani (VA) 6-3, 6-2
6. Ciro Lampasas (LOU-MT) def. Kyrylo Tsygura (VA) 6-4, 2-6, 6-0
1. #18 C. Morin-Kougoucheff/Parker Wynn (LOU-MT) def. Gianni Ross/Aswin Lizen (VA) 7-5
2. Federico Gomez/Brandon Lancaster (LOU-MT) vs. Ammar Alhaqbani/Matthew Lord (VA) 6-6 (1-1), unfinished
3. George Hedley/Ciro Lampasas (LOU-MT) def. Carl Soderlund/Kyrylo Tsygura (VA) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (5,4,6,2,3,1)