March 23, 2018
ATLANTA, Ga. – The Virginia men’s tennis team (10-5, 3-1 ACC) picked up a 6-1 victory over Georgia Tech (5-9, 1-3 ACC) on Friday (March 23) at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex in Atlanta, Ga.
The Cavaliers won the doubles point and picked up victories on five of six singles courts to win their fourth straight match. Freshman Matthew Lord (Bloomfield, Conn.) clinched the victory on court four.
Junior Aswin Lizen (Douglas, Isle of Man) and freshman Gianni Ross (Chicago, Ill.) started the match by toppling the No. 11 ranked doubles tandem of Carlos Divar and Michael Kay, picking up a 6-1 win on court one. Lord and sophomore Carl Soderlund (Stockholm, Sweden) clinched the point with a 6-2 victory on court two.
In singles, SÃƒÆ’Ã†’Ãƒâ€ ‘ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Â ‘Â¶derlund picked up a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Phillip Gresk, followed by a 6-3, 6-1 win by Lizen over Kay at No. 3 to give UVA a 3-1 lead. After Georgia Tech picked up a point on court five, Lord clinched the match with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Andrew Li at No. 4. On court six, freshman Kyrylo Tsygura (North Potomac, Md.) dropped his first set 2-6, but won his last two 6-3, 6-0 to down Brandon Freestone. Ross closed things out with a 6-2, 6-7, 6-0 victory over Elijah Melendez.
The Cavaliers finish off the weekend by playing No. 39 Clemson (7-3, 2-1 ACC) on Sunday, March 25 at 1 p.m. The match will be played at the Anderson University courts in Anderson, S.C. Live stats will be available through a link posted on VirginiaSports.com.
Virginia 6, Georgia Tech 1
1. #38 Carl Soderlund (VA) def. Phillip Gresk (GT) 6-3, 6-3
2. Gianni Ross (VA) def. Elijah Melendez (GT) 6-2, 6-7 (5-0), 6-0
3. #32 Aswin Lizen (VA) def. Michael Kay (GT) 6-3, 6-1
4. Matthew Lord (VA) def. Andrew Li (GT) 6-4, 6-4
5. Chris Yun (GT) def. Ammar Alhaqbani (VA) 6-3, 6-2
6. Kyrylo Tsygura (VA) def. Brandon Freestone (GT) 2-6, 6-3, 6-0
1. Aswin Lizen/Gianni Ross (VA) def. #11 Carlos Divar/Michael Kay (GT) 6-1
2. Carl Soderlund/Matthew Lord (VA) def. Phillip Gresk/Andrew Li (GT) 6-2
3. Elijah Melendez/Chris Yun (GT) vs. Ammar Alhaqbani/Spencer Bozsik (VA) 4-3, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,3,5,4,6,2)